| March 18, 2008 | 13 Comments

Hi lovelies!
My life is the busiest right now….and not in a good way, either so excuse me for bein’ a bit behind on commenting and posting. I do have a little time to get up on 2 topics that my blog sistas Shawnta and Nywele (nap love!) tagged me on.

First….

My Top 10 Must Not Have Items

(1) MAC’s Strobe Cream: A hot pearly mess on this woman of color. And it’s too heavy on the face….AND it’s too much money and you don’t get enough product and I think it is just one unnecessary product (angry much?…hehe).

(2) Revlon eye shadows: Now I’m all for cheap but these colors are hardly pigmented. And the colors look a H.A.M. on….you guessed it—“this” woman of color.

(3) MAC Lipglasses: I know, I know….I purchase them, but the more I think about it, the less I like them. They aren’t any better than other lip products. In fact, I find them to be more drying and they stay on less longer than the cheaper brands. And I’m sure there are hella dupes. I just got “caught” up because it’s MAC. Towards the beginning of my blog, I vowed to never spend that much money on a lip product……ahem, 12 products later…

(4) Pantene Pro-V (in the gold bottle): You’re kidding me right? Sulfate-galore.

(5) NYC Nail polishes. They are super cheap but these bad boys come off in 1.5 days. And don’t even try to wash dishes. Chile please….

[PHOTO BREAK!!]

Now for the top 5 Beauty Crimes:

(1) I keep my mascara longer than 3 months…..and I don’t care either. Muahahahaaaa.

(2) I purchase products because of a collection but I know good and dern well I will probably never used them (ahem, Fafi Eyes 1).

(3) I let my finger nails get too long. I don’t even take the time to care for them the way that I should.

(4) I hardly wash my hair. Which is okay because I have a thicker texture but seriously….I can go 2-3 months without washing my hair and that’s just not cute. I mean, it doesn’t stink or anything—I’m just too lazy to wash it.

(5) I spend money I don’t have on cosmetics. The biggest crime of them all! I still can’t justify $10 on some eye shadow because that could be gas money, payin’ off a bit of a student loan, a gift for my Mother, shoot….something else “more” important.

Have you done any of these yet? Let me knowwww!! I don’t think I’m going to link anyone because I’m pretty sure most of done this already! I love these random question posts…..helps us get to know each other better. I’m a cornball, sing Kumbyah type yall, so don’t mind me.

Allure’s Beauty Spring Trends, part II comin’ soon so stay tuned!

Peace & sunshine

Tags:

Category: Product Reviews

1. YoungBlackBeauty says:

I agree with the lipglass. I just bought my first as you know but it will probably be my last. L’Oreal Hip Lip Shine is the jump off, no lie! And I too spend money I don’t have on clothes I look for excuses to wear. LOL. I know so sad! But Im not knocking NYC nail polish becuase I’ve had nail salon pedicures that last about the same or worse they won’t come off!

2. ohsoshy says:

I so agree with you on spending money on makeup I don’t have! Last week I went to return something, and wound up signing up for a seminar (you have to pay $50 for a gift card) that I knew I wasn’t going to be able to attend. I must stop being so weak :(

3. jetera21 says:

I am guilty of 4 out of 5 Beauty Crimes!!!! I keep mascara until it dries out, I purchased MAC’s N collection and I have no idea how to use it, I go weeks without washing my hair, itching or not, and finally I will spend the little money I have on an eyeshadow or a really good makeup brush. It’s nice to know I’m not the only person who commits these crimes! :)

4. yummy411 says:

hey brit! lol you are so funny. okay. i’m against the lipglass one… while loreal HiP gloss in the tube is about the same, i’m mad it only costs like $3 less!!

the crimes… i used to keep mascara longer than three months (if used daily) but now i see why it needs to go. it dries out and flakes and irritates me to death. the other ones that i hardly use have been around for quite some time. i do an annual check or so, but that’s really only to see if it’s dried up.

i got tagged too, so I will be posting soon =) thanks for sharing

oh btw.. i love the picture break!! hahahaha! don’t you just feel it necessary? I hate doing a post without a pic LOL

5. nywele says:

I enjoyed reading your post. I used to have MAC strobe cream: I don’t have anything to say bad but you’re right, it is not a must have items. It’s been 2 years since
    I stop wearing MAC Lipglasses. I am transitioning from lipglosses to lipsticks and for a while the lipglasses were too sticky for me. I prefer the lustreglass texture but still I hate re-applying it all the time. Right now, I am loving slimshines and lustre lipsticks.

In regards to the beauty crimes, I also keep my mascara longer than 3 months and for a long time, I used to buy a product because it is limited, now if I don’t feel the color, I am not buying it!
    Do you wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo?
    I am also guilty of spending money that I don’t have..working on it:)

6. Afrodite says:

I keep my mascara for longer than 3 months, lol.

I feel you on washing the hair. Im lazy and my hair is thick but I try to wash it every other week.

7. Hijabi Apprentice says:

I TOTALLY keep mascara longer than 3 months! I’m sorry but if I pay $36 for Lash Fusion or $25 for Dior Show I’m wearing those bad boys until my eyelashes revolt!

8. Nemesis says:

wait..you mean 3 months is too long to keep mascara…oh…lol

9. Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net says:

Lol. So you’re definitely LOVING that Strobe Cream, eh? You’re too funny girl.

I’m right there with you sister. Rules Schmules, I hardly play by them and make up my own anyways, lol. And in that case, I don’t listen to when things need to be thrown out. Why can’t they be like fine wine? ;)

10. Virtuous Blue says:

*slowly dips out of the room with 1 finger in the air because she is guilty of 98% of those crimes*

And that is very true about the lipglass observation. The texture isn’t that great & if ya think about it, the majority of them pretty much look the same when applied. These days I tend to lean more towards lusterglass or shades that i’m crazy about but know i’d have a hard time finding a cheaper dupe for.

11. GS says:

Thanks for the info on the revlon e/s I was thinking on buying some to try, but now I know, and I know what you say that thing about spending money you don´t have on makeup… been there, oh and I also use my mascara till it´s dry (like nine months or more!!)

12. LBIC says:

I can’t wait until this weekend. I love Heatherette and MAC so I’ve been dying to get my hands on something from this collection. Thanks for the review!

13. BeingStill says:

I was going to try the Lipglass but after reading your post, I think not, lol. I'm a newbie cosmetics junkie so I don't have much of a stash yet (sounds like I'm talking about drugs, lol) but I can see myself going crazy when it comes to the drugstore brands (Walgreens & CVS sales, helloooo?). At any rate, I found you via one of my twitter followers and I'm glad I did. Great blog!