Let It Clump: Dr. Miracle’s, Miss. Jessies ‘an Essie

| July 16, 2008 | 20 Comments

Yaaaay, it’s time for a Let It Clump post. We haven’t had one of these in awhile.
This series is where we stop talking about make-up to explore other areas of beauty and beyond. That’s anything! Nails, hair, fashion, jacked up love lives..anything! Any suggestions? Let me know at Brittany@ClumpsOfMascara.com.

Today we are going to rap on two haircare lines and we’ll have a few nail polish shots and just an overall good time in this edition of Let It Clump.

And yesss, I’ve provided a video for you folx who loooove to hear my annoying voice. I try to front like I hate makin’ videos….but really I love it! Heheheeee…

First up we have Dr. Miracle’s.

First of all, I can’t say that I’m a fan of their commercials. I think they are a tad bit offensive and a little over the top. And then of course it has that implication that a big fro-style hairdo is “toe up” but long curls (ahem, or weave) is acceptable. I beg to differ. I’ll save the ranting for my personal blog but if you can get past the commercials you will find some pretty decent products.

Dr. Miracle’s has everything from no-lye relaxers to dandruff serums and hair sprays. I dabbled around in the over 6 of their products and have good reports on all of them! My 8 minute video will tell you what I think. Click the link below to visit.

Mr. Miracle’s and Miss. Jessie’s video review

Next up is Miss Jessies Curly Pudding and if you haven’t watched about video yet I talk about this product as well.

I seriously think this is one of the most over-rated products I have ever purchased. Not to mention it is too expensive. I purchased the sample size for $7.00 which was enough to play around in but the product itself did absolutely nothing for me. BTW: a 16 oz jar is $38.00. *looks around* I don’t think so.

But it does smell good.

And that’s where the joy ended for me. I think that products like these are really for people with wavier textures. If anyone can find products that actually work for people thick and kinky…please let me know because I’m starting to think they don’t exist.

My friend Nicole asked me about Essie’s fingernail polishes. I’m actually new to this brand but I loooove the formula. It’s better than…..dare I say it….China Glaze. *gasp* Yes, I’m cheating on China Glaze with Essie and I’m lovin’ the affair.

Ohh, look at Alligator Purse.
A beautiful “fall” terracotta-like color

I am obsessed with this Pool Boy. It’s like
a muted magenta. I have it on my toes now.

A color both my Grandmother and I can
agree on. Spritzer is the business!

Bahama Mama in the light

Bahama Mama in the dark

So yesss, I’m all over Essie’s products now. I got these from Ulta for buy 2 get 1 free and even snagged that Spritzer for only $2 in the clearance bin.

So we’ve covered a lot. Tell me your thoughts on Dr. Miracle’s, Miss. Jessies and Essie. Any must haves? Any regretted buys? Let ya girl know!

Peace and prettiness.

…oh and check out Glam.com’s newest channel: Blacklife.

And my column at MahoganyButterfly.com

[photo credits: drmiracles.com and missjessies.com]

Tags: , ,

Category: Hair, Nails

1. Amina says:

those nail polishes are so beautiful!!
    i’ve never tried Dr. Miracle’s commercials. I find the commercials to be borderline “no you didn’t/offensive”

2. Askmewhats says:

Essie colors are just so wonderful!!!! I love them all!!!!

3. Koffee "Trecia" says:

Although i’ve never tried miss jessie.. i’d have to order online.. which i don’t do… I agree with you its for the looser texture… if you go to the site you’d see that most are loose if not, they had the “shee bang done..” man i hate those lies they put out to fool us!

dr M, i don’t pay mind to their products good or not i doubt it…

girl i’m with you on finding something for my thick n kinky texture too. heck i have to start all over again 9searching for products)

4. rmcandlelight says:

Check out rusticbeauty on youtube she has a thick head of hair and she is very helpful.

5. B says:

Amina–> Yep, once you get past the Dr. M commercials, you will be hooked. Or at least satisfied.

Essie–> Yesss, another Essie lover!

KD–> We both need to go on a hunt for products for us sistas with the thick THICK hair. It is driving me nuts. But then again…I’m thinking the only thing that can make tight curls loose is a texturizer. OR a Jheri Curl. LOL!! And I’m definitely not going down that road.

rmcandlelight–> Per your suggestion I did and I stayed up until 2 am watching her vids. Thanks so much! Her hair is gorgeouuuus.

6. Brown Girl Gumbo says:

Dang, I can’t watch the video right now on Dr. Miracle’s!

But I must say that I have yet to find another nail polish brand better than Essie’s!!! It’s my FAVORITE polish!!

7. Product Junkie Diva says:

I attempted to use something from Dr. Miracle’s but the smell never allows me to go back. I never tried miss jessie’s pudding but my natural friend did and enjoyed it although she thought it was too expensive.
    Essie ROCKS and I love the colors you are wearing. I have seen China glaze but I have yet to make a purchase.
    Great post
    Product junkie Diva

8. PBW says:

Dr. Miracle’s obnoxious commercials have grown on me. I’m going to have to try the conditioner in the packet you mentioned.

Miss Jessie’s Curly Pudding is kinda blah to me too, but it does smell good!

Looking forward to those Too Faced cosmetics reviews!!!!

Great video!!!!!

9. LBIC says:

I love Essie’s neon collection. They have a good yellow that you should check out.

10. yummy411 says:

i haven’t tried the hair products, but i’m loving the bahama mama nail polish.. essie is a great brand, i just bought most of the colors in cheaper brands =/

11. Grayburn says:

These are gorgeous my dear!
    Sorry for MIA these days, I’ve come down with a cold :(

take care,
    x Grayburn

12. nilla cookie says:

I love Essie too and those colors look so good on you! I’m lemming all of them now for the fall :)

13. Beauty 365 says:

Essie rocks, dude!

as for hair…have you tried Healthy Hair Butter by Carol’s Daughter?

p.s. – thanks for visiting the other day :)

Beauty 365
    Beauty Every Day

14. SuzieC says:

Love the polish colors!!

I tried Miss Jesse when I first went natural. It was ok. I wanted to see how it would work now that my hair is longer but I’m not trying to pay that much money to find out. The process was an ordeal for me and I hated the crunchiness.

I ignored Dr. Miracle because of their commercials. I may give the deep conditioner a try.

15. Fashion's Darling says:

Essie is simply the best and can’t be compared to anything else (are you sensing the brand loyalty lol).

I never thought of Dr. miracles commercials like that…never noticed that

my natural haired friend lovesss carols Daughter products.

16. Nicole M. says:

Essie—good stuff.

Miss Jessie’s—Well I used to live near their BK salon. I never got into the hype, and I do believe there is a lot of hype surrounding their products, just like many other brands, and the cost is huge considering the ingredients. I have friends who love the Buttercreme though.

I’ve seen Dr. Miracle’s products but I’ve never tried them. Let me see about those commercials.

17. Kamika says:

I tried Miss Jessie’s products and have to give them a thums down. I’m have thick hair and my texture just laughs at these products and gets mad. I’m also allergic to some of the ingredients.

I just can’t get past the Dr. Miracle adds enough to try them, plus I’d rather mix up something myself. Thanks for the great review!

18. Confessions of a Makeup Whore and Product Junkie says:

I haven’t tried the Curly pudding, but I love what the Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue did to fight the frizz off my natural fro, and it smelled amazing.

19. Anonymous says:

I definitely agree with you girl Miss Jessie’s products suck!!!! well at least everything but the Rapid Recovery Treatment…dont know what the hype is about!!!
    I am black from west Indies with curly hair…I tried miss Jessie’s and its not what I really expected. The only product I did enjoy and do consider buying again is the RAPID RECOVERY TREATMENT, this works like magic! My hair was easier to untangle…it took less time…this really worked (for me!)…you just have to try it! …the BABY BUTTER creme didn’t really moisturize my hair, after my hair dried it left my hair stiff, kind of chalky…it was like you can tell I had some kind of product in it (I don’t like that)…when I used the CURLY PUDDING, CURLY MERINGUE, or the STRETCH SILKENING CREME my hair shrunk more than with any other product. None of these products moisturized my hair… it as more like a creamy gel to hold my curls…the only good thing was that it added shine, but the day after looks my hair looked dry and felt chalky…its weird. I do not know what the hype is all about, but that is just my personal experience. I need free flowing moisturized curls! I’m going to try Aveda products!

20. AP says:

THOUGHTS ON THE “MISS JESSIE’S” PRODUCTS:

1)The “MISS JESSIE’S” products USE MINERAL OIL
    & PETROLATUM (both of which damage both
    hair & skin) AS two of the KEY INGREDIENTS

2) Titi & Miko – THE OWNER’S of the “Miss Jessie’s”
    product line (AND most of THE CLIENTS they choose
    to photograph) — achieve their hair-styles because
    they USE what they call ”Silkener”' (which is simply
    a mild relaxer / texturizer & made of CHEMICALS).

3) The same results can be achieved for a fraction of
    the cost by going to a store and purchasing / applying
    the same dangerous (ex. relaxer / texturizer) as well
    as damaging (ex. mineral oil / petrolatum) products.

4) People should save their money (and hair) by avoiding
    the cheaply-made / expensively-sold products (such as
    the ”Miss Jessie’s” line) that contain worthless and
    harmful ingredients such as mineral oil / petrolatum
    and / or are “chemically-dependent” to achieve results.