Mascara Monday: Avon Supershock

| October 6, 2008 | 19 Comments

Hi family! I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend. Time for another Mascara Monday! This is a first ever for Clumps of Mascara. I’ve never tried any of Avon’s mascaras. Are they hidden jewels or should they just STAY hidden? Check out my review:

Avon Supershock Mascara

Price: 4 out of 5 (about $8.50)
Packaging (Brush Wand): 4 out of 5
Overall: 2.5 out of 5

What it claims: “Unique microfibers instantly expand and plump lashes to larger-than-life proportions…for head-turning drama in a flash. Up to 12x more volume…in a single step. Maximum amount of mascara in just one dip. Molded teal plastic fine combs separate lashes for a precise, bolder-than-ever look.”

The truth: I mean…it’s okay.

What I loved about it: The brush isn’t half bad. I have really become a fan of brushes with these kinds of bristles.

What I didn’t like: While it gave me a bit of volume and length, I was shocked how it didn’t last the entire day. My lashes literally flopped within a few minutes after applying the mascara.

Overall: This is my first experience with an Avon mascara. I was intrigued to buy it being that Shape magazine had labeled it as the “Best Mascara”. Uhhh…so maybe I can chalk my experience up to having a bad tube? Either that or there was some exaggeration in their claims. This mascara is definitely not one of the best. While the brush is pretty effective in getting the lashes out there, the formula is way weak. And I’m not sure why because it isn’t heavy to where it weighs down the lashes. Definitely didn’t get any shock factor.

Would I recommend it: Nay to this baby here.

Lashes with NO mascara

Lashes with TWO coats

….so what do you folx, think? Have you ever tried any of Avon’s mascaras? Do they make better ones that you think I should try? Hmmm…

Oh, and a big ole’ shout-out to Jamila over at Betty Brown Beautification. She won the blogger template giveaway from Divalicious Designs!! Congrats Jamila!

Shoot me your mascara requests at Brittany@ClumpsOfMascara.com. Have a wonderful Monday, beautiful people!

Tags: , ,

Category: Mascara Monday

1. Kim (Blog Writer, A Life of Style) says:

I tried Avon Super Shock and wasn’t impressed. I had high hopes for it too b/c of the ad in the Avon catalog. The volume and length were okay but this mascara made my eyes tear up so badly, it also flaked on me. Luckily I got it when it first came out and only paid $3.99. BTW, I LOVE Maybelline XXL Extensions. I reviewed it. Thanks for the great review of it =)

2. Vi Anne says:

I tried 2 mascaras from Avon the Daring Curves and the Longest Lashes Ever. I hated the Daring Curves and the latter while, I didn’t really get the longest lashes ever was pretty good. :) I’m still a L’Oreal Telescopic girl though.

3. archellebaker says:

You know, in the Avon brochures, the model for this mascara is obviously wearing fake lashes. But I do agree with you that the brush is cool. I use L’Oreal Voluminous and add a coat of this on top just to comb it out. I also have the Avon Wash Off Waterproof mascara and I actually really like it. I use a lash primer and that waterproof one makes my lashes SUPER long. Sometimes it’s on sale for like $1.99. (I used to be an Avon lady so I’ve tried a lot of their stuff!)

4. Wes says:

Not crazy about it… Didn’t do much to your lashes based on the photos.

5. yummy411 says:

aww man.. disappointed by the avon hype

6. Product Junkie Diva says:

I have never tried an Avon mascara but I think your lashes look cute…too bad the product didn’t last on your lashes.
    Have a great day.
    PJD

7. rmcandlelight says:

I’m not impressed with any avon mascaras.

8. *Jen* says:

I’ve been meaning to try this one but it just seems ehhhh. Thanks so much for reviewing it before I got to it!

I was browsing their site recently (I’m obsessed with their Marimekko stuff) and saw that they have a Jillian Dempsey mascara that has an eraser on one end (something I need since I’m such a klutz) and another one that has a little brush for your lower lashes–fun! I don’t know if I’ll be checking them out bu they definitely looked interesting.

I LOVE mascara mondays!

9. Brown Girl Gumbo says:

I’ve never used Avon mascaras…in fact, I can’t recall using any Avon products period. Maybe one day I’ll check them out, but not the mascara since you only gave it a 2 out of 5!

10. GS says:

I have the waterproof mascara by Avon, I´ve been using it for years and I really like it, it´s the perfect everyday mascara, like when you want to have something in your lashes but nothing too dramatic, not much volume, not much lenghtening but it makes your lashes look really nice… I love that mascara!

11. Lish says:

I LIVE IN MY AVON SUPER SHOCK!…i love it and for me it does last all day. and when I put it on there is a difference in my lashes they look longer and fuller. I dunno B… i might have to disagree with you on this one lol.

12. Shefali says:

Wow…you really can’t even tell the difference between with/without mascara…what’s the point?!

13. dcb says:

I have that mascara and it works really well for me because people always compliment me on my eyelashes!
    I will admit that I have to use three coats but the results are good.

14. Miss Britt says:

Hey girl! We share a name and a love for beauty products! I have tried every Avon mascara made in the last 5 years, and I LOVE SuperShock. Several times people have stopped me to ask if my lashes are fake. But you and I have different lashes, for sure. Try Mark Make it Big and see what you think. It’s another I like.

15. Anonymous says:

It's nice…it gives a bit of volume…but it takes too long to dry…ang it does not lengthen.

16. Anonymous says:

I love this mascara…it gives me volume and some length…try superFULL by avon…it's kinda the same with supershock only it has a smaller wand…

17. Anonymous says:

i like it, it goves my lashes volume, my lashes held up for the whole day, but i do experience some flaking

18. Yazminda_x_x says:

I Use This Mascara Every Day. I Have Quite Long Eyeleashes And Thay Are Curved, And This Mascara Works Wonders, I Would And Have Recommended This Mascara To Everyone I Know, And Have Had Several Comments On My Eyelashes, The Brush Is Fantastic And Reaches Every Lash, Extending It And Making My Eyes Pop. I Buy It Every Time A New Brochure Comes Out So I Dont Run Out. Fabby Mascara, If You Put It On Correctly ;)

19. [...] One Coat Dial Up Avon Supershock Bare Escentuals Buxom Lash Belevada mascara Benefit BadGal Lash Blinc Kiss Me Bourjois Pump up the [...]