Beauty Bee-haviors: Is your lipstick toxic?

| February 23, 2009 | 6 Comments

Welcome to another post from the Beauty Bee-haviors series. In this series we have open discussions about any and everything in the beauty world and beyond.

I got this discussion idea from a lovely reader named Paula. Thanks darlin‘!!

She forwarded me THIS link. SafeCosmetics.org tells you all about what’s in your cosmetics and how some of things we are using our hazardous to our well-beings. It’s a little scary to say the least. But we need to be informed.

Spend some time browsing SafeCosmetics.org and then share your thoughts here.

What if you found out that your favorite lipstick, blush, perfume, shampoo or nail polish contained toxic ingredients. I mean….this is your all-time FAVORITE beauty product. Would you continue to use it? Or trash it for the sake of your health?

The sad reality is that most of the cosmetics on the market are un-safe. So what’s a gal to do? I do have a great deal of skincare/haircare products that are all-natural and safe but most if not ALL of my cosmetics contain some “not so good” additives.

What should we do? Is this something you ever think about?

Category: Beauty Bee-haviors

1. Product Junkie Diva says:

Hey B,
    I think if my all time favorite product was bad, ( I mean really bad)lol I would have to get rid of it and find a healthier replacement.
    PJD

2. Krayoni says:

Definitely….Can’t risk life for beauty!!

3. tongueincheek says:

I think that a lot of this is all fear mongering. Women have been using these products for years and years and I’m sure if you use too much of it, it might be a problem, but it’s not as bad as, say, china white powder made of lead that geishas used to use. A good place I like to go is The Beauty Brains, where scientists debunk a lot of marketing hype and fear mongering.

It really makes you realize that natural does not = good. Just because a product claims to be “all natural” does not mean that it’s right and it does not mean that it’s free of chemicals. I highly encourage you to take a look at this site and tell your readers about it!

Here’s a post on lead in lipstick you may find interesting: http://thebeautybrains.com/2007/10/04/is-lancome-lipstick-loaded-with-lead/

Still loving your blog and your hair blog!

4. Bella says:

Being married to a lovely n’ sexy Chemist, I am usually bugging the poor man to read the labels. If he says no-no; it just does not go in my makeup stash hermana!!!

5. Lish says:

B!!!!

NYX NAIL POLISHES HAS TOLUENE!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

6. Lish says:

Sinful colors is good…i like that brand better anyway lol.