Amor de Lacquer: At Home Manicure tutorial

| March 31, 2009 | 12 Comments

It’s Amor de Lacquer week!!!! All posts will be related to nail polish and nail care!

Welcome to another post of Amor de Lacquer….the series all about nail polish and nail care! Send me your requests, suggestions and ideas to Brittany@ClumpsOfMascara.com.

Here it is! The requested At Home manicure tutorial. I have been doing at home manicures for about a year now. Prior to that I was an active customer in nail salons. I wore acrylics from when I was 15 years old until I was about 22 years old. I am so glad that I have finally weened myself off of that drug and can pamper myself at home. It saves me time, money and I know that my products are sanitized.

You can use ANY product.

FIRST…I soak my nails in warm water with a little bit of hand soap. If I find that my nails could use some whitening, I use an Efferdent tablet or rub my nails with lemon. They are great whitening agents.

After soaking my nails for a good 10 minutes or so, I dry my hands and apply Sally Hansen’s Cuticle remover gel on my cuticles.

I then use my fingers to push my cuticles back.

Some people like to completely remove their cuticles. I, however, do not. I simply trim them and make sure that they look nice and neat. My cuticle nippers work GREAT for this.

I then take a crystal nail file and file my nails. I prefer square so that is the direction that I take each and every time.

To moisturize those cuticles, I use Burt’s Bee’s cuticle balm and go at it.

And lastly…I moisturize and massage my hands.

I do this at least once or week or every 10 days. Giving myself manicures not only assures that my nails are healthy and lookin’ good, but I swear it’s like therapy for me, yall. I love it.

Do you do at home manicures?

Polish Pretty,

Tags:

Category: Amor De Lacquer, Nails

1. Askmewhats says:

B! this is great tutorial!!! :)

2. Zmaga says:

I should do my nails now ;) Love the tutorial!

3. rmcandlelight says:

Hey B.

Love the tutorial. I use to wear acylics as well. Those days are bye bye..never want-ta-see you again. (lol) I agree taking care of your own nails is so much better and relaxing. I do my manicure once a week. I don’t care for the burts bees cuticle cream because I find it to stickey, I do love the smell of it. I prefer the badger cuticle cream, but I also like the burt bees hand salve for my cuticles and hands. In a few days I will be heading for Atlanta to the natural hair show:)

4. Nessa says:

I do at home mani’s and I do this routine (or some form of it) every time I change my nail color, minus the cuticle remover. That I do about once a month.

5. B says:

Nikki—> Thanks mama!

Zmaga–> Yes sis, you should. It is crazy easy to do and actually feels good.

rmcandlelight–> First of all, have fun in the A!! Take lots of pictures and tell everyone about Clumps, lol! I used to be crazy anti-acrylics but not so much anymore b/c they can be okay when you don't drill the mess out of your nails. I want to learn how to do them one day–just in the event that I break a nail.

Nessa–> Hey pretty…I forgot to mention that I don't do the cuticle remover bit EVERY week. That's too much. :) It's good to see how we all love nail polishes but also know how to take care of our nails too.

6. chanel says:

Its sad cuz i have a routine for my pedi and not my mani… I usually go au naturale or acrylics for special events. I’ve been wearing nail polish on my natural nails for the last month and love it so i think i’m going to have to copy your routine. thanks alot!.

7. Missy says:

LOVE this!!! I totally did not know about the Efferdent or lemon thing. I have got try this. You’re right, it IS like therapy!!!!

8. Fashion's Darling says:

This is awesome! I wore acrylics since I was 16 but had to stop that primarily ‘cuz of my job situation.

But now that I’ve got a new job…

lol I didn’t realize though how much money I saved by not getting my nails done so maybe i’ll stick to at home mani/pedis

9. Erica D. says:

I have to do at home manicures… I ‘m in college in a small city and not to mention I have very little money!

10. Milan Angel says:

I use the same routine with my nails. That was my new year’s resolution…to keep my nails in tip top shape. So far so good. I love that Burt’s Bees cuticle cream! :-)

11. bellabeautifull says:

Thanks so much for posting this! I just had my acrylics removed and this came just in time. I will definitely try this over the weekend.

12. Renee' says:

I Love your tutorials, Thank You.