FOTD Friday: Smokey Eye Attempt #3

| March 6, 2009 | 23 Comments

Finally! It’s Friday….and after skipping FOTD Friday for 2 consecutive Fridays, I am finally back and in action. My face is still taking its dear ole’ time clearing up. I have become quite used to these break-outs and it can take a little over a month for them to clear up. But once they do, my skin is back to being flawless. Or somethin’ like it. HA!

Okay, so this FOTD Friday is an interesting one. And one that I dedicate to my good friend Jasmin. This is actually only my third attempt at the…..

SMOKEY EYE!

Brace yourself for my first attempt.

Whoa!! Ain’t that something? This was taken in the summer of 2007. When I FIRST got into make-up. Since then I have only done one other smokey eye in the Fall of 2007.

Gothic City, USA, right? I actually didn’t mind this look. Yes, it’s a little scary but with the curly hair, I was rockin’ it!

And I haven’t rocked a smokey eye since then. Have I rocked it this time around? Or is it another bomb? Either way….I enjoyed doing it and welcome any tips as the smokey eye is one look that I still feel like I have yet to conquer.

FACE:
MAC Studio Finish concealer in NW45

EYES:
Too Faced Shadow Insurance
MAC Rondelle e/s (highlighter)
MAC Waft e/s(lid)
MAC Sketch e/s (crease)
MAC Carbon e/s (outer-V)
Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner in Zero
Maybelline Sky High mascara

LIPS:
Stila Lip Glaze in Peach Cobbler

This smokey eye is probably the best one I have done so far. For once it doesn’t look so dark! But I am still tweaking it. I have NO idea why such an easy concept has always been so difficult for me. Yikes! But I’m gettin’ it. Any smokey eye professionals out there? Please drop some tips or tricks.

Or are you strugglin’ like me?

I am off to North Florida this weekend, family. But I will still have the handy dandy Blackberry so don’t hesitate to email me at Brittany@ClumpsOfMascara.com for random questions, comments or just to say, “Hey B!”

Stay beautiful,

[EDIT]
How could I FORGET to mention my girl Kia from Yummy411 in this post? She is the one that actually set me down and talked me through a smokey eye look. Her looks are sheer perfection and I would have never been able to start understanding how to do a decent smokey eye had it not been her professional assistance. Thanks sister.blogger.friend.make-up artist-guru lady!

Category: FOTD Friday

1. Product Junkie Diva says:

You did a good job. I tried the smokey eye and I looked like someone socked me right in the eye. I will practice this one day and get it right.
    Have a great weekend
    PJD

2. Danielle says:

I love the smokey eye on you! I know it’s not your current hair right now, but your hair in the 2nd pic is WILD and I love it!!

3. Katie Mack says:

Yes darling – you did well on that attempt *applause* I likey.

Refresh my memory – have you ever tried MAC’s Fibre Lash? I swear by it..doesn’t clump. I usually dab a bit of blot powder under my lower lashes bc my lashes are hella long but overall I love it.

4. Jaimie says:

I love the attempt!! Its really good, i love the smokey eye, i dont care if its overdone. it is perfection.

5. izumi says:

you def did a good job :) better than MY poor attempts.. hahhaa. i’m definitely on the ‘struggling” side!

6. Askmewhats says:

I love this look! you look hot!!! :D

7. Marsadie says:

I. Love. It!! I need your blending skills, stat.

8. Miss Yaya says:

i like to think that i have gotten the smokey eye done – to the effect that all my makeup is a smokey eye coverup into something else… the brushes take over after some time..

JUST GOT YOUR PACKAGE! super duper excited!

…and who can miss the purple rockin out on the north pole?! =]~

9. trofie says:

totally rocked it! enjoy a fabulous weekend everyone. love, jasmin

10. rmcandlelight says:

I think you did a terrific job. I wish you do a video showing us your applicaton. I’m trying to master it myself:)

11. B says:

PJD–> LOL, you see my first two attempts right? I am finally understanding the smokey eye concept. I will be sure to do some newbie level posts/videos in the future. Together we can master this. LOL! Happy Friday, sis!

Danielle–> Thank you, darling. And yesss, I totally miss the wild curly hair. That and the fro-hawk were my signature looks back in those days.

Katie Mack–> Thanks!! And yes ma'am…I have in fact reviewed MAC Fiber Rich (http://www.clumpsofmascara.com/2008/10/mascara-monday-mac-fibrerich.html). Oh wait…is Fiber Lash something else? Hmm..

Jaimie–> Spoken by a true make-up artist. LOL, thanks, darlin'!

Izumi–> Practice makes perfect. Or maybe it's luck. LOL, I don't know….we'll figure this one out. :)

Nikki–> Thank you, ma'am!

Marsadie–> Blending, I find is the KEY to a decent smokey eye. All of the colors must blend together evenly. It seriously took me 4 minutes to blend my outer V into my crease. Wowsers!

Yaya—> Yay! Can't wait to hear your thoughts….

Trofie–> Awww, thanks!

rmcandlelight–> Thank youuuuu. I'm workin' on it. :) You readin' my mind again, sis. LOL!

12. Jamila says:

Jesus be a plane ticket to go visit Yums! That is hot! You know I am supa dupa smokey eye challenged… Like for real. I can only manage to look I was dating Chris Brown.

What? Too soon? My Bad. LOL! Talk at ya later chica!

13. Kiarah C. W. says:

So glad ur back for FOTD! It’s beautiful! I have never tried it because it’s more eye makeup than I wear in the daytime. I’m waiting for the right event.

14. SuzieC says:

It looks great! Better than what I would do. My smokey eye is color on the lid and black in the corner and crease. I can’t do a black on the lid to save my life.

You’re right Kia is the queen of the smokey eye!

15. Bella says:

I love yout FOTD’s hermana!!! And yup, Kia is awesome too!!!

16. BVB says:

Gorgeous, B!! U make me want to do another attempt at perfecting my smokey eye!

17. GS says:

I don´t think 1 and 2 are that bad the only difference is that by this third attemp you´ve learn some technique, but to me they´re all pretty!

18. Fashion's Darling says:

awesome third attempt!

My smokey eye is soooooo horrible! lol It’s no part smokey just plain goth

19. Fashion's Darling says:

PS: YAY for the NW45! lol I’m that shade and currently trying to find the MAC Studio Sculpt concealer but it’s a super popular shade on this end of NYC so it’s sold out =(

20. Danielle says:

Pretty! I like it cause its subtle not too dark. Very soft.

21. Mocha says:

You did a great job! The smokey eye is hard to perfect…looks like you got it down now!!

22. marisol says: