Amor de Lacquer: Strong nails via vitamins

| April 1, 2009 | 7 Comments

It’s Amor de Lacquer week!!!! All posts will be related to nail polish and nail care!

Welcome to another post of Amor de Lacquer….the series all about nail polish and nail care! Send me your requests, suggestions and ideas to Brittany@ClumpsOfMascara.com.

When it comes to keeping nails strong, sometimes it starts on the inside. Aside from keeping a well balanced diet and working out every day, I also take vitamins religiously. I have been taking multi-vitamins and Vitamin C since I was a little girl. Fish oil pills have been ensuring that I get my omega 3 intake daily amd for the past 4 months or so I have been taking Biotin.

What MotherNature.com says about Biotin,

…..so far, only one nutrient—biotin, part of the B-complex—has been proven helpful for nail health in people who aren’t malnourished.” (source)

I also know that you HAVE to take biotin in conjunction with a multi-vitamin.
Of course you should do some more of your own research and talk with a doctor prior to taking any new vitamins.

Has it been working well for me? I would say so! My nails are finally as healthy as they were pre-acrylic days.

Do you take this vitamin? How do you keep your nails strong?

Polish Pretty,

Category: Amor De Lacquer, Nails

1. Nessa says:

I take Biotin as well, B. I take One-a-Day Women’s vitamin and 5 mg of Biotin per day. Over the last 5 months I have noticed that I have grown my nails the longest they have ever been and not breaking like crazy. I would recommend it to anyone who wants longer, stronger nails.

2. Brown Girl Gumbo says:

I don’t take any vitamins, which is probably why I never have any energy. I need to do BETTER!!! Thanks Brittany for this post!!

PS I’ve been meaning to tell you how cute your photo is! :-)

3. Naki says:

Centrum and Caltrate (calcium supplements). Great blog!

4. Lola says:

Did you order those(in the pic) from MotherNature.com? I need small pill/capsules. I tried Biotin years ago from GNC, but they were horse pills and I couldn’t take them.

5. Lachelle says:

Oh man, I called myself going to Central Market and getting some Biotin and I was like YES, I’m going to get on these vitamins and grow my hair and nails.
    Fast forward about 4 months later and its collecting dust on my desk at home.
    Tsk, tsk…I just can remember and don’t like the capsules form the come in.

6. Caramelx says:

I’ve been taking Biotin on/off for about 4 years. I take it for my hair though and it’s always helped it grow like crazy.

My nails are totally messed up so when they grow they just snap/split cos I have splits going straight down the middle of a few of them where I stupidly pulled off my acrylics when I was 18!! I’m 27 now and still suffering for my stupidness then!

I prefer my nails shortish and square though so all’s not lost.

7. T.R. says:

I stopped taking mine but when I was taking them, it was well worth it. I’ve heard a lot of great things about Biotin. There’s also another on I can’t think of off the top of my head. I think it’s Biosilk or something. That’s good too.