50 million pound challenge: Water Water is my friend…

| December 16, 2009 | 18 Comments

Let’s rap about water.

Do you drink enough?

Or are you stuck on sodas and high fructose juices? Would you rather drink coffee or a mixed drink than water? Pull yourself together, sister. Water is your friend. You NEED it. And not just when you’re thirsty.

I drink a little over a gallon of water a day.

It’s as if my body craves it. I mean, at any minute of the day…you can find me drinking from some bottle.

Purchasing water bottles can be expensive so I installed a filter in my kitchen. I fill up a gallon of water each day to take with me to work. That gallon sits at my desk and by the end of the day, it’s empty.

And in case you didn’t know, here are some important reasons why you SHOULD drink water:

• Water can help flush out those nasty toxins in the body. Every few days I add either fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to my water. Both are great at detoxifying.
  • Water helps food digest properly. You know that yucky feeling in your tummy when you’ve eaten too much food and hours later you STILL feel a bloated mess? Um yeah…that’s constipation. Water can clear that up!
  • Water is good for the skin! And Lord knows I need as much help with clear skin as possible….
  • Water can aid in weight loss. Try replacing water with coffee, alcoholic beverages and sweet drinks for week and see what happens. Unlike all of those drinks, water has ZERO calories, ZERO fat and ZERO sugar.
  • Water makes for a better work-out. This is so true! I find that when I’m not drinking any water at all before and during my work-outs, I am more sluggish and tiresome. (source)

While experts say we are SUPPOSED to drink 8 glasses (or 8 ounces) of water a day, I think just making sure that you aren’t dehydrated is enough. However, if you’re on a weight loss journey, I think it’s important to keep track of everything. Even water. I keep my water in water bottles with numbers on them.

That way I can know for sure that I’ve had enough to drink in days I don’t drink from my gallon. Between my water and liquid heaven that is this….

I’m good! I’ve never been a coffee (yuck) or alcohol drinker so drinking only water and green smoothies works for me. On the weekends I’ll splurge a bit and drink a Shirley Temple (I’m such a kid, ha!) or sweet tea.

But at the end of the day, it’s water that keeps me feeling good. If you haven’t made friends with water, start incorporating more glasses of it in your daily schedule. If you need help, put an alarm on your watch or in your phone to remind you to drink more.

Any avid water drinkers out there?

I’m going to be posting about fitness the next few Challenge posts. You ready? Let me know what y’all think about these posts. Are they helpful? Don’t hesitate to send me any emails at Brittany@ClumpsOfMascara.com if you have any suggestions or questions!

Until next time….

Other 50 million pound challenge posts:
Eat This, Not That
Greens 3x a Day
I’m no size 6, but I don’t care
Portion Sizes

Join the Clumps of Mascara Team!!
Mascara Mamas team

Tags: ,

Category: 50 Million Pound Challenge

1. adorepink says:

My water has to be very COLD for me to drink it. If its cold with ice chips, I'll drink it because its so refreshing! Thats the way I trick myself into drinking more. I always have a bottle in the freezer at home and at work! I hated water before…my mom had to force me to drink it.

2. Luvvie says:

I must admit. I dont drink much water. It's sooo terrible of me too. I ned to get like u and start making myself drink. Hmm…

3. Nina says:

I don't drink as much water as I should but I do try. I skip on sodas and other blended drinks and stick with water when I'm eating out.

4. Colette says:

I don't drink as much water as I should. Although I do drink 2-3 cups of tea a day at work, I also really love my tangerine Diet Rite LOL. And just let me go to a restuarant – yummy drinks = yes please! & the sweeter the better … or worse I suppose.

I do try to make sure I drink water before & during exercise though, because I always remember hearing if you are actually feeling thirsty, you are already in the first stages of dehydration.

5. suga says:

I love water! I used to hate it though and would fill myself with juices and soda, preferably sprite or orange/strawberry soda lol

Now, I fill my 32 oz water bottle with ice and water and drink it through out day. I sometimes fill it up once more before I leave work. I also usually order water when I go to a restaurant (and add a little lemon to it). Not only is it healthier but it also cuts down on a pricey bill.

One thing that is great about only drinking water while on a weight loss journey: it allows you to use more calories on your actual food intake. Some sugary juices and sodas can amount up to 200-300 calories. I'd rather use that on a small snack, than on a drink.

Sometimes I crave for a little sweetness with my meals, so I'll have a glass of Crystal Light Fruit Punch, but other than that, water is my homie lol

6. princessvalecia says:

I live off of water, green smoothies, and Bigelow's Pomegranate green tea. Thats all I need not icky sodas!

7. Mz. More says:

I have been forcing myself to drink water more to keep my skin clear. A gallon a day? You are good. I want to be like you when I grow up! lol Kidding. But that is excellent. I'll work on drinking more water. Thanks for this post hon. :)

8. BeautyXchangeGirl says:

I don't drink enough water – I barely drink a bottle in a day. I know – that's bad and take it from someone who has suffered from Kidney Stones in the past – NOT FUN AT ALL! I'm so stubborn! But,this post has reminded me yet again how important this natural resource is. I must mention though on the rare occasions that I remember to drink a full glass/bottle of water I do add ACV or lemon juice as you mentioned great for removing toxins as well as balancing the ph levels in the body. Great post!

9. Beauty and Health Editor says:

Well, there is nothing like water and vegetables to get your complexion looking fresh and radiant.

I recently went through a few weeks of no make-up, lots of water, three healthy meals a day and hardly any junk food and my complexion was looking really smooth and great and not one spot or discoloured skin in sight.

Besides, I'm a drinking more water (not excessively) advocate, because too much of anything can be bad for you.

10. Gerry says:

Wow!! A whole gallon…that's a lotta H20! I drink at least 2 liters which is a little more than half a gallon, but I hate having to run to the bathroom every half-hour. :[

11. Joni says:

Hi, ms mascara! I love water, I alwasy order it when I go out, but I do not drink enough at home. As we speak I am finishing up a cup of coffee and my mouth feels extra dry! I usually drink green tea but I have been nagging myself to drink more water and less tea. Now that I have seen your post, I am ready to make it happen!

12. Aira @ Sugar StripEase says:

As for me, it has always been a habit to drink water. It is one of the cheapest beauty routines you can do. It really does wonders for my skin.

13. Anonymous says:

i like water too! lol
    akua

14. Monarch's Librarian says:

So how are you doing with your water intake? Still drinking a gallon a day? Have you noticed a difference in how you feel? Your skin? Your weight?

15. B says:

Mona Lib—> I'm still doing it and my skin is awesome! Don't know about the weight though. I never weight myself. LOL!

16. nikkibee says:

@ B- I too drink a gallon or more a day and have since high school….always get compliments on my skin and notice whenever my water intake is low; my energy levels wane….@Gerry -once your body becomes to drinking that much water—the bathroom trips are less frequent!!! trust me :)

17. Nora says:

I bought a blender from Macy’s online and I’m going to start making green smoothies like you do when it arrives. I’m really excited! I can’t wait to start.

I’m not really a big water drinker, to my shame, but I drink a TON on unsweetened, home-brewed, pure iced tea when I’m at home. I always have a glass around, I drink a small pitcher of it every day. Stuff like green tea with mint, pomegranate black tea and even iced chai is amazing and I actually prefer it without sweetener by far. I’ll try drinking more pure water, but iced tea (especially green tea) is really good for you, too!

18. Ellen says:

I drink lots of water now, but never used to. All I had was water from the tap and hated it. Then I got a reverse osmosis system and now love my water. I drink at least 8 glasses a day now, and have never felt better or more energized.

Juts in case your wondering, I got my system fairly cheap from Aquasafe Systems, click here.