50 million pound challenge: Weight frustrations

| March 3, 2010 | 20 Comments

I have a confession. You ready?

I am hard on myself. Always have been. I often forget that change takes time. I like immediate results. I am patient while sitting in traffic. I am patient with toddlers. But patient with my own personal goals and achievements? Mega hard.

I recently had a doctor’s appointment and guess what? My freakin’ blood pressure is up yet again. 148/110 to be exact. I find this to be extremely disheartening as I feel like I am forever pushing myself to the limit physically. And when it comes to my diet, I have done a total 360. So why is my BP still through the roof?

My doctor has recommended that try to loose some weight. *insert exaggerated sigh* I felt like I was on the road to just weight maintenance. However, I have got to drop even more weight. Or else I have to get put on meds. Which would literally have to happen over my dead body as any form of non-holistic/herbal medication (OTC or prescribed) freaks me out.

I don’t even know HOW to loose more weight. It looks like I will have to consult with a professional. I’m not happy about it but I want to live a long and healthy life and will do whatever it takes.

This news is also another reminder to me…that keeping weight off is a lifestyle. It doesn’t end and for the most of us, it will be quite the challenge. Don’t let it discourage you. Continue doing what you have to do be healthy without being so hard on yourself. Yes, I work out 5-6 times a week. But it will be a snowy day in Florida before I turn down creme brulee. While most of my physical/dietary needs have changed, my love for desserts has not. And I’m okay with that. It is all about balance.

At the end of the day, I know that my high blood pressure is probably because of genetics. Not being in control of my health frustrates but I can’t let it stop me.

Hang in there, fam! We can do this!

Other 50 million pound challenge posts:
Eat This, Not That
Greens 3x a Day
I’m no size 6, but I don’t care
Portion Sizes
Water Water is my friend
Green Smoothies are my BFF

Join the Clumps of Mascara Team!!
Mascara Mamas team

Tags: ,

Category: 50 Million Pound Challenge

1. Ms. LMC says:

Yes, I work out 5-6 times a week. But it will be a snowy day in Florida before I turn down creme brulee. <— Hi Five!! And now that they sell them at Target,it's a wrap!

I'm going through the same thing- no matter what I do it's still not enough and the doctor is trying to put me on meds. I refuse and it's been frustrating to keep it all together when you feel you are doing all you can. Perserverance and prayer always helps me; keep doing all the positive things for your body and your body will eventually fall in line. Wishing you all the best!

2. SweetsQueen says:

I too, am a lover of desserts. I don't condone a lifestyle of complete restriction of things. I understand moderation and healthful eating, but completely cutting out a few good things in life? Never.

Have you had your thyroid checked? I think consulting with a professional would be a very smart decision. Even if it's just journaling your food for a week or so and having someone look it over.

Good Luck! Don't get down on yourself, we're all a work in progess. :)

3. Colette says:

I am having to watch my blood pressure also, and just went to the Dr. last week & heard the anticipated "lose weight" speech … it's never easy. I've managed to lose 40 lbs & keep it off but now I'm stalled. February sucked for me as far as excersie, it was a month I was counting my blessings just for not gaining anything.

Like you said, it's a lifestyle. I thought I had it down for a while but I've got to get back on track. When things get busy exercise is the first thing to be sacrificed, even though I know there are other things that could/should be put off instead (like blogging for one LOL).

PS to Ms. LMC – creme brulee at Target? No joke? *Running to Target*

4. Lex says:

I feel you *instant gratification chick checking in*…I'm on the weight lost/ healthy lifestyle track as well again. I lost a considerable amount of weight 2 yrs ago and after a car accident/surgery I regained the weight. Its only now that I'm finally able to get back on track again with the lifestyle (and it definitely is a lifestyle with no quick fixes). While I don't have any weight related health issues at the moment my doctor reminds =/ me everytime I visit her that I will if I keep on the weight. So, I'm determined to get it off and keep it off for good this time, God willing. And I'm going to be hanging in there with you =)

5. B says:

Ms. LMC—> Wait…what?! Creme brulee in Target? Are you talking about the ones in the frozen section. I always see them but have never tried them. All I needed was a review. I'll be getting it tonight. Buuuut, has anyone tried Ben & Jerry's Creme Brulee ice cream? *faints*

SweetsQueen—> Your name says it all. LOL! Life is about enjoying the little things I will NEVER beat myself up over eating a tootsie roll or two. Or six. I haven't thought about my thyroid but that's a good idea. Thanks!

Colette—> Random but I tried water marbling again yesterday and instead of it being a FAIL it was an EPIC FAIL. I just can't do it like you. Waaaahhh!!

Okay, I'm done. Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Don't let me get a little stressed…work-outs get cut. No bueno. No more excuses is the name of the game. We CAN do this. :)

Lex—> YAY! I think being cognizant of the fact that weight loss/maintenance is a lifestyle is the FIRST step. It's a tough pill to swallow but you being there says a lot. Let's do it!

6. Her Royal Poshness says:

Dear B,

You know how much I love you. One thing I can say is Doctors like to say things without necessarily thinking of the damage.
    I think you have come a very long way and even though I have the opposite weight issues to you, I have learned about green smoothies from you and I love them.
    Do not give up, you have no idea how many thousand more people you inspire/encourage to keep going.
    In life we don't always get what we want but trying goes a long long way.
    Stop being hard on yourself…

7. jacqueline says:

Don't be so hard on yourself if you are healthy. Your blood pressure isn't always under your own control — case in point my friend's 13 year old son who is athletic, muscular and thin was just put on blood pressure meds because his blood pressure was completely out of whack. They tried for 2 years to manage it with diet & nothing worked.

Don't try to kill yourself to be thin if you're already healthy. If you do have a weight loss issue (As in never lose anything — like I do), look into what your hormones are up to. They can really foil a good diet & exercise!

Don't give up on your healthy ways – 40 is just a number, it can't measure your true health, and you may not be able to control that BP with 40lbs down either. I wish I knew a natural way to point you for management, other than supplements.

If you do get your thyroid checked & it comes back normal, please start researching the effects that having out of balance hormones has on your body & weight loss efforts. It's not any testing that doctors will normally do for a young woman, but it's becoming more & more common.

8. Danielle says:

It's definitely inspiring how much weight you've already lost! Have you tried counting calories? Healthy foods are good for you, but you can still gain weight by eating too many of them. Also, I applaud you for going to the gym 5-6 times a week! I'm extremely impressed. Do you do mostly cardio or weight training as well?

9. Lish says:

OOH B! I really love your honesty!!!! Thank you for always being a motivation to me. Have you tried Skinny Cow products..They are very good!

10. BrooklynShoeBabe says:

Please don't be hard on yourself, because that's the way to challenge even more difficult than it is.

Weight Watchers has been very helpful to me because it forces me to WRITE DOWN EVERYTHING I put into my mouth. SparkNotes is also good like that. Sometimes writing it down makes you focus on what you should be eating more of.

Also, I hate exercising. I hate going to the gym. I hate exercising in front of other people, but I know exercising has to be done so I can lose weight and get off the meds I'm taking. Let me tell you, the Wii is the best health investment I made. With games like Just Dance, Wii Sports, and We Cheer 2, I can get in the exercise with fun. Plus, my kids can do it with me.

You can do it!!

11. BrooklynShoeBabe says:

Oh, one more think about the high blood pressure, if it runs in your family, your genetics may be working against all the good you're doing.

12. Anonymous says:

hmmm… okay please watch out when it comes to water!!! you could be retaining water and it can raise your pressure!

13. Zayna says:

Go to nutritionist. Get him/her to write out a nice meal plan for you.
    My nutriotionist wrote me out a 6 small meals a day plan. Which is really just combos of "good carbs" & protein. I really like it and I'm losing weight. (I have a long way to go : )

Most good nutritionists will tell you-hey, it's okay to have a sweet once a week.

Also get your hormones checked out by an endocronologist.

And if all else fails. Do what you got to do! Don't let the stigma of taking medication stop you. LOSING WEIGHT IS NOT THE SOLUTION TO EVERY HEALTH PROBLEM. Doctors sometimes use that as a lazy way out.

You're working out and eating right-so this could be a genetic issue something completely beyond your control : )

14. kateypie35 says:

I don't have high blood pressure, but I have high cholesterol. To get it down…I NEED to lose more weight. It is not a want anymore, it is a need. I can't do meds because I am still nursing.

SO, I am doing Weight Watchers. 'Cause for me, it helps. Is it fun? Not particularly. Is it working? In 5 weeks I have lost 9.6 pounds, and it was not difficult. Slowly but surely, which is how it should be.

Maybe you could try a journal? Write down EVERY MORSEL you put in your mouth for 2 weeks or so. Even gum, one tootsie roll…whatever. Sometimes you just need to see it in writing to make small adjustments, you know?

You look fantastic, and you glow, so you are doing something right!!!!! Maybe you just need to try something else to tweak your routine?

15. yoshi3329 says:

I use Chlorella and Spirulina they're' superfoods, they help with everything, weight, skin, hair, bowels, pain, odor, everything. I've heard coconut oil can really help you lose weight from the top, down. I've never tried it but I've heard from many people that have with positive results.

16. B says:

You ladies are awesome. Thank you, thank you!

Danielle—> I've never tried counting calories. The thought of doing that just depresses me. *sigh*

Lish—> My tummy no likey dairy. *le sigh, part II*

katey—> That's amazing!! I did WW in undergrad and when "was" consistent, I had good results. I liked it b/c it is realistic and leaves room for indulging.

yoshi—> Off to do my research!

17. Black Girls Run! says:

Keep you head up! After three years of being really discipline, lately it has been challenging to eat healthy and keep up with my workouts. I am always reminded that being healthy is a lifestyle, not just something I can do intermittently.

I'm happy that you have found balance in your diet. That is something I still struggle with, and lately the salty snacks have won! Yikes…thanks for having such a positive attitude and keeping us all encouraged!

18. Yoshi3329 says:

Here's a nice forum on it.

The forum is still going on even though it started in 2009. This is probably one of my top ten forums on beauty/health I've ever read. Seriously.

19. meliasaurus says:

i think you're beautiful, and i'm proud of you for losing any weight at all. I know how hard it is to lose and keep off.

I would suggest staying away from diet or low fat/sugar products. ironically they tend to actually have more calories.

And also write down how what you eat everyday for 2 weeks. Most people have no idea what they ACTUALLY eat everyday. I know personally i eat to keep myself busy. I might grab a handful of nuts or another snack with out thinking about how many other snacks i've already had that day.

Good luck, you know we're all on your side and believe in you :D

20. yummy411 says:

*tear* that doc's visit just broke my heart! you are doing fabulous, i wish your bp would show it!!

do you have an at home monitor? i got one for about 40 bucks. i feel an inspired post coming on…