Beauty Bee-haviors: I will only buy ____!!

| April 29, 2010 | 28 Comments

Welcome to another post from the Beauty Bee-haviors series. In this series we have open discussions about any and everything in the beauty world.

We haven’t done one of these in a while, uh? This idea came from a girlfriend of mine who came over and spent some time rummaging through my make-up collection.

“Gosh B!” she says. “You sure do have a lot of different brands.”

“Uh, yeah…” I reply. “Don’t you?”

She turns and looks at me and says, “Girl, no! I only use ____. They are the greatest. They have the best shadows, liners, lipglosses and foundation. Why would I need to go anywhere else?”

My look…

Now, I’m not going to tell you which brand she was talking about. I’m sure you’ve already guessed it because like her, I was an obsessed and faithful fan of that brand. And ONLY that brand. It wasn’t until I got heavily involved with blogging and checked out other brands that I realized…um, there are A LOT of good cosmetic companies out there.

I simply don’t have a favorite. How can I? I love Maybelline, YSL, LancĂ´me and Rimmel mascaras. I love Stila, Clinique, NYX and Illamasqua glosses. I am in love with NARS, Iman and Cargo bronzers. Milani, MAC and Jordana make great lip liners and when it comes to polishes Zoya, China Glaze, Nubar, Sally Hansen, Orly, Diamond Comestics and Nfu-Oh rock! Just how in the world am I supposed to be faithful to one?

So my question to you iiiiis?

Are you faithful to only a handful of beauty brands or will buy anything that catches your eye?

Category: Beauty Bee-haviors

1. Vixxan says:

I will buy anything that catches my eye. My favorite lip glosses are from an unknown brand that cost 99 cents. There are so many great products out there you just have to be willing to not allow yourself to become branded.

2. *Coop* says:

Welllllll, since I 'm playing Follow The Leader (read: do what B does) with skin products, I have little loyalty to any single company. There are a few things I really like that I stick to…and I'm more likely to try other products from a brand if I've had a good track record with a single product.
    But my nightly skin routine is all over the place: Neutrogena, Alba, Boscia, Clinique, Aveeno, Clean and Clear AND some Walgreen's brand stuff.
    Same with hair stuff. I'm willing to try anything and if I like it, I stick to it. No brand loyalty over here. I'm more inclined to try things that others have had success with over just trying a certain brand because of it's name.

3. Amina says:

Guilty! I used to buy only MAC until I realized that there are other brands out there…lol

4. Connie De Alwis says:

NO WAY! I'm a brand WHORE!
    I'm probably only faithful to my cleanser, Cetaphil.

Love the face that you made. I would've had the same look!

5. Connie De Alwis says:

ohkay, I've been looking at your picture for 10 minutes and it's still making me laugh out loud! You're awesome, B.

6. NicoleB says:

Like so many others here I am a brand WHORE! Why have just one when you can have them all. Now that I think about it, what brand am I faithful to in anything…hmmmmmm *smh*

7. Polish Earthgirl says:

Well, I'm a nail polish and beauty blogger myself so let's think about this one. Okay I am not brand-ist against my makeup products but i hat to say that I am extremely so in nail polish (only color club, essie, china glaze, orly, OPI and zoya!) True thing, probably not the best, but true.

8. Janie says:

I must admit, I was only faithful to Shiseido cosmetics. I didn't have the courage to use something different because, I feared that my skin will break out or turn for the worse. But two months ago I have started reading your blog, and since then I have tried many different brands (thank you!)

I love your expression!

9. Oreleona says:

i have favorites when it comes to foundation (Milani) and when it comes to mascara i only buy Maybelline and maybelline only but when it comes to eyeshadow, lipstick, bush, lipgloss i buy various ones even the cheapest at 99cents. My fav nailpolishes by newyork color is 99cents!

10. Kim @ A Life of Style says:

I am loyal to no brand. My collection includes Almay to YSL and everything in between. Great post!

11. FabDiva20 says:

When it comes to foundation, I turn to Revlon. When it comes to mascara, I turn to CoverGirl and Maybelline, and Bare Escentuals. When it comes to nail polish, China Glaze is the one! Love that brand! When it comes to lipstick, eyeshadow, eyeliner, blush, lipgloss, MAC will be the one since I'm a loyal MAC addict. Love this post!

12. kermitfrogfroggy says:

Well, I used to buy anything and everything that caught my eye until I realized how much stuff was piling up that I did not use regularly or even at all (for whatever reason). A few years ago I became a dedicated fan of a higher end brand and only bought their stuff. Within the last year, I have given up that rigidity, but am faithful to certain brands.

13. Stacy says:

Right now I am only faithful to L'oreal True Match powder/foundation because I've finally found drugstore makeup that matches to a T!!!! Otherwise, I have no loyalty. I'll buy whatever catches my eye and what my pockets can afford.

14. Chai says:

I have natural favorites…but those only come from trying different brands, which I love to do! My loyalty goes to companies who know how to market to all skin types, cute packaging, and the quality of the products HAS to be good! Also, relying on good word of mouth from reviewers, bloggers, or just friends in general helps. Growing up I used to lean heavily on all the brands my Mum used…and still do, lol. But today, I'm branching out cause I think it's just the girly girl in me;-)… and just for fun I'm able to share my splurges and new finds with my Mum…!

15. Beyond Outer Beauty says:

Girrlll…I try it all and just like you I have my favorites from various brands. The range from drugstores to department store brands. It's my opinion that if you only use one brand…you pretty much limit your possibilities of finding something that could be better in quality and more suited for you.

16. I BLEED PINK says:

I am all for getting what catches my eye. I've found so many products I love by being brave and testing the waters.

17. suga says:

I'm loyal…to whatever is easy on my wallet. lol

The other day, Sam Fine tweeted that a true make up artist is never loyal to one brand, and usually has a variety of products that ranges from from drug store chains to high end. I loved that.

18. Danielle says:

I won't say I'm loyal to a brand but I can say I'm loyal to a product. For example, right now Bobbi Brown Stick foundation is perfect for me…Nars blush is perfect and I'm singing the praises of Bee Mine Luscious Hair Moisturizer. Certain products if I find something that works I still with it. Otherwise I try different brands low end, high end, in-between. I like to experiment.

19. Sheena @ Sophistishe says:

Lancome juicy tubes and ELF glosses! Love 'em!

For everything else, I just buy whatever works. I'm trying to go for more natural products though.

20. kukaberry says:

The only brand I stick to is Kleenex Cottenelle because nobody should ever us any other toilet paper but as far as everything else, I am open. I have to try all make-up brands once. If I like it, I stick with it but I still try others. Clothes, shoes…I try them all. Why give one brand so much power? You have to shop around to get the best prices and values.

21. MalcaW says:

The only thing I'm loyal to is my mascara..I've been a slave to L'Oreal Voluminous for years and I don't think that'll change…But other than that I'm a bargain hunter so that means I buy whatever brand gives me the highest quality for the lowest buck!

22. Amy says:

I'm in love with ELF! My fav mascara is Maybelline XXL PRO.
    Fav liquid liner is L'Oreal's felt tip lines and Elf's Cream liner….

23. Anonymous says:

Like many others, I'm too much of a product whore to use only one brand. The only area where I don't vary is foundation, but even that might be changing as I age and my old standby doesn't seem to be doing it anymore.

24. Rachel says:

The only product I'm really faithful to is Bare Minerals foundation and Mineral Veil. I have oily skin and live in the Memphis Metro area, which is humid during the summer. I either sweat or "oil" my makeup off. Bare Minerals doesn't break down like liquid foundation does on my face. Besides, I have acne prone skin. :(

25. Mocha Mish Mash says:

I used to only "do" Mac and Prescriptives before I started blogging because of the quality of their products, but I've started to branch out to other brands I never would have in the past…Nars, Stila, MakeUpForEver, etc…I also used to just be an OPI and Essie girl until I started dipping and dabbing into other polishes. I think most people use what they know and can afford. I can't really say I'm loyal to one brand now, because I've got several different brands that I buy from regularly now, though I think deep down I will always be a Mac whore lol!

26. lisa says:

well i have acne prone sensitive skin so i only use makeup forever concealer and bare escentuals foundation and mineral veil, because they're noncomedogenic and don't irritate my skin. but this is after much trial and error of using various products like prescriptives, mac, and various others. as for anything else it's a free for all. i use nars, makeup for ever, mac, bare escentuals and various drugstore brands for eyeshadow, mascara, polish and the like. (i do generally prefer opi for polish, though.)

27. NaturallyAlise says:

I am a loyal Maybelline eyeshadow and foundation… everything else just depends on what is on sale, lol

28. Amanda says:

I’m not gonna lie and a one and only type of girl, and its Clinique all the way, and here’s why, I do try other stuff (esp. mascara) but I am either not happy or the Clinique has something that will do the same thing and its cheaper or fragrance free. I was so one and only I started working for them so I can share my love with others. I want all my clients to be as happy as I am with everything I suggest to them!