Homemade Brown Sugar Scrub

| April 13, 2010 | 12 Comments

A reader recently emailed me about face scrubs. She was looking for a new one and wanted to know about my favorite.

Since I have been using the Clarisonic , I don’t feel the need to exfoliate my face using a scrub. But every now I like to get a deep down scrubbing. I’ve never found the need to go out and spend a ton of money on a scrub when nature makes the best ingredients.

One being good ole’ olive…

I use olive oil for EVERYTHING! I use it as a carrier oil for body concoctions. I use it on my locs. I apply it to my cuticles each night. I use it in my spring and spinach salads. And for my omelets. Olive oil is just divine.

This scrub is ridiculously easy to make.

I take a bowl of organic brown sugar

And pour in a good amount of olive oil. I don’t measure but if you are trying this for the first time, go easy on the olive oil if you have oily skin.

I mash it all together with my fingers…

Sometimes I like to add in a little oatmeal. I normally crush the oats with my mortar and pestle but laziness will prevent you from doing the little things. Ha!

And then I apply!

It really is that simple. I have also used baking soda and castile soap as a scrub. All natural and totally affordable.

Do you make your scrubs?

Tags:

Category: Skincare

1. Jazz says:

Yes! This is the ONLY scrub I have been using for like the last 5yrs! It truly cleans and softens my skin!

2. Moni says:

I use brown sugar and evoo on my skin (sometimes adding ground ginger) and baking soda (just added to my regular face wash) on my face.

3. Amina says:

yummy!! I'll try this recipe! thank you for sharing

4. Dwana, (SME) Subject Matter Expert of S.O.S says:

Cool beans. I used white sugar and olive oil for my lip scrub. I'll have to try this out.

You think I can make a larger portion and store in a cool dark place? Any thoughts?

5. Jennie says:

I use mixture of brown sugar and honey as a exfoliator. I will try this new homemade scrub. Thanks.

6. B says:

Dwana—> Hmm…I wouldn't only because it's sugar. Which can attract 'you know what's'.

7. Dwana, (SME) Subject Matter Expert of S.O.S says:

Thanks, B. I want to try to make homemade spa kits…you know like the ones you find in the spa ;2 )

I recently received a foot scrub but it contains salt (not sure what kind), essential oils, and olive oil.

8. Erzbet says:

I usually scrub my face with sugar and honey, made just the same way you did this scrub.

Other kind of scrub I like is wet mashed oatmeal with honey. It absorbs all the oil in a few minutes!

Nice scrub, I'll try it one of this days.

9. Jennie says:

How often I should exfoliate? I heard if you exfoliate frequently, it hurts a skin.

10. Dana says:

I will try this one one. I use organic sugar and lemons. Mix them today and scrub away. I do this once to twice a month.

Dana

11. Da_Kween says:

I might try this. I always have these ingredients. I'm about to make an oatmeal and honey mask. Eczema is drying my skin out :(

12. Lydia says:

I personally use brown sugar and coconut oil. Smells better and I think it does a lot more good.