Do you use essential oils?

| October 25, 2010 | 11 Comments

Have I told y’all how much I LOVE essential oils? Mama Clumps started it. What you see are just the ones that I use regularly. Mama Clumps is lucky that I don’t live with her. I’d be snagging her 100+ essential oils collection religiously.

But alas, it requires a small fortune to build a hefty collection. Which oils do you use? I use Peppermint just about everyday. It’s in a spray bottle of water that I spritz all over my hair. I also use that and lavendar oil for when I wash clothes. And of course it makes for a perfect aromatherapy blend as well as making natural skincare products.

Oh, and I wouldn’t feel right if I didn’t place a disclaimer. Essential oils  should NOT be applied directly to the skin without carrier oils. Tea tree and lavender oils are the only exceptions.  Mama Clumps has most, if not all, of those too.

I’m so jealous.

Drop your favorite essential oils and their uses! And should you or should you not store eau de toilette in medicine cabinet?

Category: Body

1. Antithesis says:

i picked up some rosemary oil this saturday b/c i heard it helps with itchy scalp and also promotes hair growth. i hope nothing bad happens to me b/c i do have a relaxer. i plan to mix it with coconut oil (of which i am already a huge fan). im going to apply it to my scalp as a prepoo.

• Brittany says:

Girl yes, I love rosemary oil. And my scalp (which suffers from chronic dandruff) absolutely loves it. Can’t co-sign on the hair growth but my hair hasn’t stopped growing so maybe it’s aiding in that too. LOL! Let me know how it works for you!

2. I love essential oils but only use Young Living. They are absolutely the most pure on the market in my opinion.

You can also use peppermint and lemon oil without a carrier oil. I use peppermint for headaches and lemon my my bunions lol or should I say where I had bunion surgery!

• Brittany says:

Hmm, I’ll have to check out Young Living. I’m in need of some Lemongrass and Bergamont. You’re a pro when it comes to essential oils, darling. For the newbies, I think it’s best to recommend using a carrier oil as some many be a little harsh when used directly on the skin.

• :-) Not a pro. Most of the bottles of EO tell you if you can use them direct on the skin. Also, people can use the mighty Google to search out what oils can be used direct.

I currently use an EO blend from Young Living called RutaVala on my son (bottom of his feet) to help with seizures. I’ve also used Cedarwood and Sandalwood on him for the seizures. They are expensive though and the RutaVala is not as expensive.

3. Ashley says:

I use lavender oil for foot soaks and baths. I also have a bottle of tea tree oil but I hate the smell!
    I had no idea about carrier oils until now. Luckily, I’ve only tried lavender & tea tree oil. I’ll be much smarter in the future :]

• Brittany says:

I used to haaate the way tea tree oil smells but I guess I’ve become immune to it. It’s one of my favorite oils because of its anti-fungal properties. And don’t even get me started on how great it is for acne and dandruff. Loves it! It’s fun playing around with carrier oils. Olive, sweet almond, grapeseed and jojoba are my favorites. :)

4. Kristina says:

Do you use carrier oils when using Tea Tree Oils for acne? I bought a bottle for that purpose but it burned the hell outta my skin! If it works, I’ll try to rosemary oil too… Asian girls like me often have dry scalps/dandruff.

• Brittany says:

I actually place tea tree oil directly on pimples. But ONLY on the pimples. I use a q-tip and it literally zaps the pimple by morning.

5. Mama Clumps says: