St. Ives new Scrub-Free Exfoliating Pads. Are they hot or not?

| May 10, 2012 | 21 Comments

I’ve been a die hard fan of St. Ives skincare products for I don’t know hooooow long. Even before I was a beauty blogger, I was hoarding St. Ives stuffs like it was a job. And ever since they started omitted harsh ingredients from their products, well, I love ‘em even more.

Good ole’ St. Ives has recently launched these Scrub-Free Exfoliating Pads and of course I’ll had to check ‘em out.

Peep the stats:

• First mass-market brand exfoliating pads with alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs)
  • Formulated with 100% natural lactic acid
  • Only $4.99 and you get 60 pads
  • Exfoliates to reveal smoother, younger-looking skin in just 7 days

Well. These extreme claims of promising to provide younger-looking skin in just 7 days had me on my toes. I think I look like a youthful 27 years old but I’ll take 24-year old skin any day. :D I gave these pads a whirl for exactly 7 days and welllllll, they have their ups and downs.

For one, I LOVE the fact that you get 60 pads for under $5. That’s pretty dynamic considering you really only need 1 pad per cleaning. Now, if you use these TWICE a day then you’re average at least 60 a month which still isn’t that bad. I think these are ideal for traveling. You can just pop ‘em in a carry-on, suitcase or tote and you won’t have to worry about them spilling. Because I’m that nut that ALWAYS ends up spilling a face wash or shampoo in her luggage.

So yeah, portable and spill-proof products are definitely for me. On the downside, I’m not sure how effective these are at really cleansing the skin. Sure, they feel good but I didn’t get that streaky clean feeling I love to feel after washing my face. Oh! And I so think the product name is weird. When you think of exfoliating, you think of scrubbing beads or somethin’ like that, right? Well nope…the pads are smooth. It’s the ingredients that provide an exfoliating experience. But then it says scrub-free. Huh? So yeah, I get it, but I think the language may throw you off if you’re taking a quick glance of this in drugstores. Reading thoroughly is indeed fundamental.

Pro’s
-Affordable and easy to find
-It’s paraben-free

-They aren’t unscented but the light fragrance that they provide isn’t too overwhelming
-Pads are lint-free and smooth.
-One pad should be good enough for the face and neck.
-While you may want to use a makeup remover prior to these, they do a great job at removing face makeup like light foundation, powders and blushes.
-Those with dry skin will love how moisturizing this is.

Con’s
-It’s a bit drippy. Which is good because you get more than enough cleanser but bad because it can be a bit messy.
-The pads are hard to pull apart. Each time I used ‘em, I’d grab 2-3 and then had to spend a few seconds pulling them apart.

2-3 pads…

1 pad…

-Didn’t really change the appearance of my skin in 7 days. But then again, despite the claims, I didn’t expect it to.
-My skin didn’t feel ultra clean. I still felt like I needed to follow up with another cleanser. Then again, I’m not really sure if it’s a cleanser or not. Maybe this is something you use AFTER you wash your face? I’m not sure.

Are these ideal for me for every day use? Probably not. I like the skin drying-type clean and these didn’t give it to me. But I’ll still be carrying them with me when I travel. I can be a lazy somethin’ when travelin’ and skincare wipes and pads that help me remove the days’s gunk without turning on some water are sooooo up my alley.

Oh, and this warning was on Drugstore.com so it’s definitely something to take heed to,

“This product contains an alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun and particularly the possibility of sunburn. Use a sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure while using this product and for a week afterwards.”

ETA: Look what else I found per Drugstore.com: Use on cleansed skin twice daily or as tolerated. In case of contact with eyes, flush thoroughly with water. That changes a lot, uh?

So is just me or am I the only slow bird that thought that these pads would actually be textured to exfoliate? Even though they said “scrub-free”? Whatcha think?

Tags: , ,

Category: Face, Skincare

1. Yeah, it’s kind of sad when you get an exfoliating product and hope for some kind of scrubbie action and it’s the ingredients that do the work! But I’m a HUGE fan of Dr. Gross Alpha Beta Peel, so I’d love to try these as a low cost alternative.

Now, what’s on your nails? So cute!
    Stef | we heart this recently blogged about Attn Fashion Plates: we’re looking for a new writer!My Profile

2. Dafra says:

Nice post. i may have to give them a try, i am running out of cleanser… but yeah, I like the squeaky clean feel to.

3. ashley says:

I know this is unrelated but what are you wearing on your nails? its gorge

4. Phyrra says:

Eww, sucks when you feel like you have to cleanse twice!
    Phyrra recently blogged about TARINA TARANTINO Emerald Pretty Eyeshadow Palette ReviewMy Profile

5. Alia says:

It’s just you! J/k! “exfoliating” can be a misleading term at times, but really there are two kinds of exfoliation. Manual and chemical. These are the chemical kind (AHA).
    These are similar to the ones I used to use from Aveda (just way more economical) that I loved. I believe they are supposed to be used as step 2 of your routine. Cleanse, exfoliate, tone (if you’re a toner kinda girl) and moisturize.
    Alia recently blogged about Secret Santa FTW!My Profile

6. Jyoan says:

I didn’t think they would be rough because it says scrub-free. I think what it means is that the AHA doesn’t requires physical scrubbing beads, which is good for the skin, as physical beads can cause micro-scratches on the skin.

But this sounds pretty good despite the cons!

I’ve never tried any of St Ives products, even though the Apricot Scrub is so famous in my country. By the time I was about to buy it, I read about micro-scratches, and that St Ives is too harsh. From then on, my exfoliator has always been carbomer-based gel types that have no physical scrubbing beads.
    Jyoan recently blogged about Maybelline Jelly GlowMy Profile

• Brittany says:

I know the Apricot Scrub can be harsh for some but I much prefer the Green Tea Scrub. It has finer granules and so it’s a lot gentler on the skin. But I do have to check out these carbomer-based gels you speak of. They sound up my alley!

7. Vanessa says:

Hmm, I never heard of these wipes but did they advertise it as a cleanser? It’s really just suppose to be a very light chemical peel. Could you atleast note a more advance cell turnover?
    Vanessa recently blogged about My Stylish PeepsMy Profile

• Brittany says:

You know, you bring up a good point. I suppose it really isn’t considered a cleanser. But it doesn’t say that it needs to be applied to cleansed skin either. Weird. And girlfriend, if I knew what a cell turnover looked liked, I could better answer that question. Ha!

8. I never even heard of these….Im not sure they work THAT good if you have to do it twice. :/
    Stefanie (IFCURVESCOULDTALK) recently blogged about ghd Flat IronsMy Profile

9. MaryB says:

Brittany, hon…if you read the instructions on the tub, they say to apply to a CLEANSED face. This isn’t a cleanser. More like a toner or like Stridex pads. You use it after your cleanser.
    I just gotta laugh ’cause that’s the sort of thing I do all the time. My poor husband always has to remind me to “read the Directions, honey!”
    Love your work. Keep it up – you really brighten my day!

10. danielle says:

im in the same nutjob boat as you :)

11. Nina Sparr says:

Oh man! Ha! I read this post on my phone so couldn’t see the comments, but knew I HAD to come check the post out in person because of those nails!! Amazing!!! =) So glad others followed up on that for me already. =)

The lack of commenting ability on my phone is annoying, but it has made a HUGE difference in how often I get to reading my fav blogs! Yay! Your posts are killing me! So hilarious and fun! And still awesomely informative. Double Win! Nice work lady! Keep it up!! =)

Oh ~ and I totally would have thought this was a “cleanser” too! Though with the “apply to a cleansed face” addition… I guess that at least makes more sense why you weren’t getting much of a “clean” feeling result. Womp. I think this product gets a pass from me. But your nails were worth the post regardless of the product. Seriously! I love them. Like Woah! ; )

12. Tamika D. says:

Girl, I couldn’t even pay attention to the post for swooning over your cute nails! Now, I think I’ll go back and TRY to read. :)

13. SuzyQ says:

These are not a cleanser…they are an exfoliant that is used AFTER cleansing. ;)