Baby Clumps: 27 Weeks

| November 2, 2012 | 13 Comments

2012-10-24

Confession: I don’t really know how far along I am in my pregnancy. By the time I do the posts on Clumps of Mascara, I am usually way beyond THAT date. So yeah, this is Baby Clumps’ 27th week update but I am really well on to my 28th week. And I don’t even know if that’s accurate. I’ve had 3 ultrasounds this pregnancy (an emergency ultrasound at 6 weeks, gender determination at 16 weeks and then an anatomy scan at 20 weeks). I measured differently for each one. My midwife goes by my last menstrual date and since I used the fertility awareness method as my form of birth control and conception, I happen to know this kind of stuff.

But still. My dates are off and when people ask me when Baby Clumps is due, I just say “Mid January” even though she could very well arrive at the end of January or early February. Babies are grow at different paces and since I can’t (nor would I want to) get an ultrasound every month, I am always confused with how old baby girl really is. I’m not trippin’ though. She gets here when she gets here, mon. In fantastic news, guess what? I’m in my third trimester!

Some say the 27th week is when the 3rd trimester begins and others say the 28th week. Either way, I’m up in that party and couldn’t be happier. What the Bean is up to this week.

DSC_1817

“Your not-so-tiny-anymore baby (2 pounds and 14.5 inches long!) is slowly rotating in preparation to “head out” for the grand entrance on their birthday! Now obviously, this doesn’t happen overnight, but when you start to feel a new sort of pressure “down there” (aka your cervix), you’ll know you’ve got a fully flipped locked-n-loaded womb-fruit waiting for the countdown to launch! Impressive physical developments of the week: your child’s lungs are already capable of breathing air as their vascular system can now handle oxygen/carbon exchange and their brain stem can now regulate rhythmic breathing as well as their basal body temperature! At this point in a healthy pregnancy – if you were to give birth prematurely, your tiny fighter could easily win on the show: “Survivor: The Early Years.” (source)

Good stuff, uh? And yeah, I totally feel the pressure ‘down there’. Getting up and sitting down takes quite some time because I feel so heavy. Most of 2nd trimester wasn’t too bad. But 3rd tri is already kicking my butt. I am in a constant state of uncomfortableness. I’m a woman who can tolerate a lot of pain but the back and neck pain I’ve been enduring lately have been insaaaaane. Sleeping on my sides, tummy and back are all uncomfortable. So what’s left is my attempting to sleep straight up. And I can usually get some good sleep that way. BUT my freakin’ neck suffers. As I type this, I have to turn my entire body to look left or right. It’s bad.

I had my first visit with a chiropractor and it was woooonderful. I may have to keep going back to him if the neck and back pain persists. I’ve got internal swelling in my left leg which makes walking painful and totally got in the way of my 2 miles a day mission. I still manage to walk 1 mile a day but it ain’t easy.

DSC_1847-001

I’m eating well but not over-indulging. I took my gestational diabetes test yesterday and I am sooooo hoping that I passed. If I don’t pass, I’ll have to take it again and NOT eat for 3 hours. Naw bruh. Not cool at all.

This is a super quick update because yeah, I’m at the point of pregnancy where I am just a wreck. I’m trying to stay positive though. I’ve got a baby shower coming up, baby classes, maternity pictures and there is just A LOT of fun things to look forward to. But my neck, my back…ooooooh, my back. It’s a mess, y’all.

Quick Bean Stats!

Weight Gained: Believe it or not but but I am still 3 lbs DOWN from my pre-pregnancy weight. I have gained nothing. Crazy. Bean is still growing like crazy though so I’m okay with that.

Crazy Symptom: Sometimes my sciatic nerve messes up at the wrong time. I’ll get up from a meeting and literally have a shooting pain in my bum. Sexy, uh?

Cravings: None. I am so not the typical pregnant woman.

Sleep?: Negative. I suffer from insomnia, peeing every 2-3 hours and not ever getting comfortable. I’m a walking zombie.

Best Thing About Pregnancy: Feeling Bean kick. It’s weird but I fall in love with her every time she gets her wobble on. Even if hurts.

Tis ‘all, y’all!

Tags: , ,

Category: Pregnancy

1. I hate to be completely off-topic of this post, but your nails are SO PRETTY! What brand and color is that nail polish!? I think I want that color to be my birthday nails next week. That is gorgeous!

And… yaaayyy for 3rd trimester! You seem to be coming along so great. I’m excited for you! Yaaayy for Baby Clumps!
    Renisha Renewed recently blogged about November #MakingMoves Fitness Challenge!My Profile

• Brittany says:

It’s OPI’s Tomorrow Never Dies from their recently released James Bond collection. It’s pretty epic so it’ll make the perfect birthday mani. ;)

2. Kay says:

It can be problematic for certain tests if your dates are not accurate. Fetal lung maturity is not complete until 34 weeks. Kids born before then can have significant breathing difficulties and be at increased risk for long term respiratory issues. Babies born at 27 weeks can have lots of problems; they survive but it’s definitely an uphill battle. Look up intraventricular hemorrhage, necrotizing enterocolitis, retinopathy of prematurity. These are not minor issues. It’s surprising that your midwife did not ascertain your correct gestational age. I’m glad things are going so well for you, but as an Ob/Gyn physician, I find your health professional’s cavalier attitude to your dating a little disturbing. Best to you and your family.

• Brittany says:

I’m confused. When did I say that my midwife didn’t provide me with a correct gestational age? I mentioned that I had 3 ultrasounds and a date of my last menstrual cycle. All of the dates are different but that’s not due to anything I’ve done or haven’t done. Don’t babies grow differently during the various stages of pregnancy?

3. Bonnie says:

So glad you found a chiropractor! I hope it was one certified with ICPA for their extra knowledge of pregnancy. Keep going back, and you will keep feeling better. I do hope the sciatica gets under control. I know how painful that is.

Can you take little naps during the day? Being tired all the time is miserable.

In terms of the swelling in your leg, do you feel any tender or painful spots on your leg? Any feeling of heat? I imagine you’re already doing this, but you might try lying with your legs up a wall.

Hang in there!

• Brittany says:

I’m not sure about my chiropractor’s certification but I was recommended to him by another pregnant gal and he gave me a ton of knowledge about what was going on with me physically. Plus, his instruments and beds were all preggo-friendly.

Unfortunately, I can’t take naps during the day so I am always just…exhausted. Womp womp.

As far as the swelling, I used to have a varicose vein but that has disappeared but this spot has no feelings of heat. It’s just uncomfortable to walk on and standing for more than 10 minutes or so huuuuuurts.

4. Kelly says:

AWWWWWW, baby bump Clump is getting so biiiiigg! And you are just gawjus.

5. KCL says:

Awww, you’re beautiful mama.
    KCL recently blogged about Influenster Beauty Bloggers VoxBox 2012My Profile

6. beautyscraps says:

You look gorgeous! I am loving that polish on you! I’m glad baby clumps is doing well and I hope you are able to sleep comfortably soon! Back and neck pain is the worst :/
    beautyscraps recently blogged about 101 Follower Giveaway!!!My Profile

7. Caitlin says:

Your hair looks amazing, too!

8. I’m soooo loving these updates! It really helps especially because my husband and I are thinking about starting next year!

9. Veronica says:

Congrats! Love hearing that the baby is doing well. Mine just turned one and I am reading makeup reviews after a year of babycenter and searching for toys instead of cosmetics. I need mommy time and I stumbled across your site. Enjoy the last trimester, its bittersweet.

10. [...] are looking really really good. I seriously don’t have ANY complaints. Which is crazy because last update all I did was complain. I’m starting to discover that I’m having a pretty smooth [...]