So About That 5K That I Ran…

| February 7, 2014 | 22 Comments

…I ran it! And it was awesome. Seriously. I had such an incredible time running that race. And this is all kind of crazy, because, hello…I’m not the running ┬átype.

Granted, runners don’t have a “type” but I don’t think I have the outwardly appearance of someone who could run. I’ve got awkward flat feet. My thighs rub together. I’ve got ginormous boobs that have to get tied down with TWO bras and I when I run, I breathe heavily; I don’t have a breathless stride with brief puffs of air. But you know what?

I don’t even care. Because at least I’m running. I wasn’t running last year so I try to provide myself with plenty of “You go girl”s.

Clumps of Mascara 5K

My first post-baby 5K was excellent – mainly because I didn’t have a goal. Well, I take that back. My goal was to complete. And I did. I ran with a girlfriend of mine and we decided to do 1-minute run/1-minute walk intervals the entire way. This was great for me as I was able ┬áto control my breathing better and looked forward to the breaks. At the end of each break, I mustered up everything in me to run. My stride could use some work, but I think that’s because I need new shoes.

Run a 5K

But I won’t be getting new shoes until I run another race. That’s right, at the end of every race, I reward myself with something. At the end of this one, I got a heart rate monitor watch. And I’m loving it! I’m just getting back in town from NYC and haven’t run all week (except during work when I got caught in a rain storm and got SOAKED) but I am so looking forward to it this weekend.

I’ve got another 5K at the end of March and that will be another fun run except I think I’m going do run 2-minutes/walk -minute intervals. By Spring, I would love to be able to run an entire 5K without stopping. I’ve found fantastic support in my local Black Girls Run group and between them and the local running stores in Orlando, I’ve been feeling the love.

Nike + Running Stats

I’ll keep you guys updated! Oh, and I’ve lost a total of 6 lbs with Weight Watchers. Totally thought I would have lost more but I have lost 3 inches on my waistline so heyyyyy…progress is good, right?

Tags: , ,

Category: Life and Living

1. Alice says:

Congrats on your first 5k! I just started a couch to 5k program and I’m LOVING it! I can’t wait for my first race.
    Alice recently blogged about Love it/Leave it: Chanel’s Glitter LinerMy Profile

2. Whitney says:

How awesome! Go girl!!!
    Whitney recently blogged about Random Friday ThoughtsMy Profile

3. Go you! I did a 5K with my sister. It was the Run For Your Lives zombie 5K lol! So much fun. :)
    Cosmetics Aficionado recently blogged about Yellow Smoky Eye Friday LookMy Profile

• Brittany says:

No waaay! How was it? I was looking at a 5K zombie race a few days ago. It looked like a lot of fun but I think I’m just too scary. I’ve watched too much of The Walking Dead. LOL!

4. Dimitrea says:

Congrats!!!!! I came on here to look for a specific Mascara review and instead you have inspired me to get the hell off my couch and just DO IT! (while wearing the mascara of course)

5. Lavendar says:

You go mama! So proud of you, and you are looking FAB!

6. Mel says:

That’s awesome. How long, and how did you train?

7. Hyzenthlay says:

Congratulations on your first 5K! That’s great :) I know the feeling – I did a 5K with friends and had a blast. You sound much more sane than me, though, because I then signed up for a half-marathon. Didn’t train for it, and wouldn’t recommend anyone else do what I did . . . But the main reason I wanted to leave a comment was to tell you about Title Nine. They have THE BEST information about sports bras! They have a cool rating system that tells you what kind of activity they’re good for, and how much bounce to expect. Maybe a reward for yet another run?

• Brittany says:

Oh wow…yeah, I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment so no halfs yet. I won’t rule it out but I’ll need to get in serious shape for that, lol! Taking notes so I’ll remember Title Nine. Thanks mama!

8. Liz says:

Well done! I wish you continued success. :-)

9. Amina says:

Congratulations Brittany!! I am so proud of you!!!!!!

10. Chiara says:

Congratulations! I admire your commitment, especially with a toddler! I was just thinking the other day that after I have had my little girl and I have healed, I want to slowly start running again. I think it’d be a way to reclaim some “alone time”, don’t you think?

11. This is amazing, Brittany!! I am so proud of you! I think people who try things like this are awesome. And deserve prizes (obviously)!
    kristen @ glambunctious recently blogged about Coral Pop Winter Lips: 3 WaysMy Profile