May is Lupus Awareness Month! Weeee! Don’t get it twisted. I’m not excited about lupus. I actually really hate lupus but I am happy that this disease is getting covered more and that education about it is being spread worldwide.
Some of my girls in the Beauty Bloggers of Central Florida group and I decided to post a purple nail polish mani in honor of Lupus Awareness month.
All Lacquered Up inspired this look but honestly…I’m not THAT in love with it. I mean, it’ll do but my nails look a bit clown-y and silly, don’t you think? Ah well. And it doesn’t help that the butter LONDON Matte Finish that I used on top smeared the whole look. Yours truly was too lazy to re-do it. Ha! I used Zoya Blu as my base and Dutch’ya Just Love OPI? as the purple in this look.
But posting purple nails won’t do a darn thing for lupus so I thought I’d share some facts and resources that may be able to help you or someone you know who may be dealing with this disease. Every bit of information that I am grabbing is coming from Lupus.org.
- Lupus Foundation of America research estimates that at least 1.5 million Americans have lupus.
- It is believed that 5 million people throughout the world have a form of lupus.
- Lupus strikes mostly women of childbearing age (15-44). However, men, children, and teenagers develop lupus, too.
- Women of color are two to three times more likely to develop lupus than Caucasians.
- People of all races and ethnic groups can develop lupus.
I know at least 4 gal pals (all are Black women under 40) that deal with lupus and they are such strong women in my eyes. One friend told me that some days are great and others are debilitating. It’s the roller coaster of pain that seems to frustrate her the most. But she’s still smiling and doing what she can to get the word out about this disease.
Please, oh please, oh pleaseeeee, scientists. Let’s find a cure for lupus sooner rather than later. Check out the looks that my fellow BBCFL girls did…