Beauty Basics As Told By…Beauty Bloggers!

| July 15, 2014 | 28 Comments

Beauty Basics
I feel so special every time I get a reader email. I really do. It never gets old and I feel so honored when someone takes the time to ask lil’ ole’ me a question. In honor of reader Lisa’s 30th birthday, I have decided to craft a post just for her. Lisa just had a birthday and wants to start getting into makeup more. She dropped me her stats and while I immediately had some suggestions for her, I ran to some of my fellow beauty bloggers and asked for their thoughts and product recommendations.

Lisa's Stats

And here’s what the girls say…

She should for sure get a palette. Great budget ones are the Maybelline nudes or NYX Natural or the Dream catcher ones. I think they are like $15 unless you can get a deal at Ulta like right now 50% off. Hazel eyes look amazing with purples and bronzes. It helps bring out the flecks of color”
– Jamie from Makeup, Life & Love

I’d definitely recommend the wet n wild trios/palettes. They are very straightforward about application, which makes them beginner-friendly (with a diagram on the back showing where to place each color) and have a great texture. The best part, they range from $1.99 to $5. My favorites are the Walking on Eggshells trio for an every day look, or the Comfort Zone palette for more options to bring a look into nighttime.
– Miranda from SlashedBeauty.com

Foundation I would suggest Loreal Lumi. Neutrals I think WetnWild offers nice colors. Cover Girl has lovely bronzers.
– Norah from Norah Loves Makeup

For blushes and lipstick/lip gloss I would definitely recommend Milani, and for the rest she can go to town at NYX and e.l.f.. Some of my best budget buys were from those three brands.
-Anastasia from Glamorable

Right now I’m messing around with the L’Oreal Visible Blur Lift Foundation. It’s ah-may-zing. That, dust some powder… facial perfection.  Oh and for mascara Milani Total Lash Cover!
Brooke from Blushing Noir

Rimmel ScandalEyes mascara and the Apocalips line from Rimmel. Great products, imo. (I’m over at Be Happy And Buy Polish. I just saw a great post today about great neutral eyeshadow palettes under $10 – there were two Wet n Wild palettes in it that sounded great.
– Jessica from Be Happy and Buy Polish

Gaia of The Non-Blonde has 2 fantastic posts on Starting To Wear Makeup in Your 30’s and 40’s. Check them out here and here.

Makeup for Beginners

I’d recommend going to a makeup counter to test shades to see what she likes, then looking for similar colors from ELF, NYX, and wet n wild.
– Nidia from Lit from Within

I recommend NYX and Maybelline to start out with as well as with Milani.
-Jacqueline from Fab Diva 20

Oh. Fair and blonde! From one fair blonde to another – I love peachy-golden blushes with my skin tone. Like Nars Orgasm or NYX Apricot. For pinks, I try to choose dusty rose and bright pink shades that are not too dark or too pigmented so they don’t stick out like a sore thumb on my face. Like Milani Baked Blush in Dolce Pink. I love using MAC Mineralize Skin Finishes as blushes, too, and they can help you find a great color for your skin tone! Also, for night time, a red like Milani Color Statement Lipstick in Red Label or Best Red would pop! Also, their purple, Violet Volt would look great too! I also am in love with how well Too Faced Melted Lipstick in Melted Violet looks with my fair skin/blonde hair. At the end of the day, it’s all about trial and error and finding what you like! Drug store makeup makes that affordable, and some places – like CVS and Walgreens – have return policies so you can try a different shade or get your money back!
-Judy from Beauty Judy

For lipstick/lipgloss I would recommend Revlon Colorburst lip butters and lipglosses. As for eyeshadows, I also vote for WetnWild palettes and for eyeliner and blushes, Milani is the brand to go for!
– Harshleen from Beauty Tidbits

How’s that, Lisa? Here’s to hoping that we were able to help you and other ladies who are just getting their start into makeup.

Tags:

Category: Featured

1. Fantastic round-up! It’s perfect and I’m not just saying that because you included my recs ;) (ty btw)!
    Brooke @ Blushing Noir recently blogged about My Favorite Urban Decay Eyeshadows + a Giveaway!My Profile

2. Jess Scull says:

Love when bloggers weigh in – Great tips ladies!

3. XO, Noelle says:

I love this! These are great tips!
    XO, Noelle recently blogged about NCLA Summer of Love – ReviewMy Profile

4. Great tips! Getting into makeup can be so overwhelming
    Cosmetics Aficionado recently blogged about Up & Up Eye Brush SetMy Profile

5. Aleya Bamdad says:

Great tips for beginners. I learned from the people at beauty counters but you never know who just wants to make a sale and who’s actually helping you. Then again blogs didn’t exist when I was learning.

6. Kendra says:

These are all great suggestions! well done..
    Kendra recently blogged about Neon and Sparkles Eyeshadow DesignMy Profile

7. Phyrra says:

Really great tips! So glad you shared them all :)
    Phyrra recently blogged about Top Ten Summer SunscreensMy Profile

8. Leelo R says:

Great post and great suggestions from all these amazing beauty bloggers!
    Leelo R recently blogged about EOTD/FOTD: Sweet As CandyMy Profile

9. Ange says:

I love the idea of going to the counter and than using that to your advantage in the drugstore!
    Ange recently blogged about #NOEXCUSES™: Fitness Challenge!! #1500in31My Profile

10. Pink Sith says:

Awww! Great tips! This is super helpful for newbies and not so newbies!
    Pink Sith recently blogged about TATCHA Luminous Deep Hydration Skincare – Review, PicturesMy Profile

11. Great post!!
    Cindy (Prime Beauty) recently blogged about New! L’Occitane Frisson Verbena CollectionMy Profile

12. fun tips and tricks! good for more than just newbies. it is good to remember the basics
    Laura MyNewestAddiction recently blogged about My Favorites from Tarina TarantinoMy Profile

13. Anastasia says:

Loved reading everyone’s suggestions!
    Anastasia recently blogged about Perlier White Lily Hand Cream Review: Luxury Within ReasonMy Profile

14. Miranda says:

Yay! Thanks for sharing my advice, hope it helps her.
    Miranda recently blogged about Price Slash Alert: 20%, 30% or 40% off (Today Only) e.l.f. CosmeticsMy Profile

15. Honeygirlk says:

I love posts like this… it’s so awesome to read all the suggestions from ladies I trust.
    Honeygirlk recently blogged about Cheryl Lee MD True Lipids Eczema KitMy Profile

16. Great reco’s from trusted beauty bloggers
    Kath TheFabZilla recently blogged about Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF50 (Review)My Profile

17. Justina says:

Loving all of these tips from everyone!
    Justina recently blogged about What’s in My Diaper Bag? with Lily JadeMy Profile

18. We were also thinking about being on a budget, too – Otherwise, I’d be recommending things like the UD Naked palette, and Too-Faced La Creme or Melted lippies, some Tarina Tarantino… lol!
    Nidia – Lit From Within recently blogged about First and Last ‘Watercolor’ Nail ArtMy Profile

19. betzy carmona says:

Those are all amazing tips !

20. Sheila says:

Great idea for a post and great recommendations for Lisa!
    Sheila recently blogged about FingerPaints Pop Movement Collection Guarantee Fun NailsMy Profile

21. Ashley says:

Great tips for beginners!

22. Lisa Heath says:

What an awesome post!

23. Amazing tips!
    Aprill C (@GlitteryGlossy) recently blogged about Dr. Jart Pore Medic Derma @ home Peeling SystemMy Profile

24. So much great advice from great bloggers
    Kimmi @ The Plastic Diaries recently blogged about Beauty Tutorial – Work Day to Date NightMy Profile

25. […] Clumps of Mascara – gifted a reader with her own personal post of makeup tips from beauty bloggers! […]

26. […] Clumps of Mascara – gifted a reader with her own personal post of makeup tips from beauty bloggers! […]

27. […] Clumps of Mascara – gifted a reader with her own personal post of makeup tips from beauty bloggers! […]

28. […] Clumps of Mascara – gifted a reader with her own personal post of makeup tips from beauty bloggers! […]