I stay ranting, friends.
Truthfully, I haven’t been in a fluffy “OMG, let’s talk about makeup even though there’s been serious craziness happening in the world.” kind of mood. Who cares about makeup?
But I mean, if I can rant AND talk about makeup, I suppose I can make this work.
It’s a freaking shame how hard it is trying to find suitable drugstore foundations for dark skin. Why? It’s 2017! We’ve got cylindrical devices that can tell us the time just by asking it. Drones can be purchased on Amazon! But y’all can’t give dark skinned folx like me MORE options at affordable prices? It’s ridiculous. It’s unfair. It’s annoying.
Do better, brands.
Most brands don’t even care. Most barely go past Tan and if they do, it’s by one shade. Some brands try and fail. And then you’ve got a handful of brands that give us a few goodies. I’ve highlighted 20 of my favorite foundations for darker skin but most of them can’t be purchased at drugstores. Let’s talk about the decent ones that can be scooped up at drugstores.
- Black Opal True Stick Foundation ($9.95, here) – I can’t say enough of this one. It is one of my favorite drugstore foundations. I haven’t owned it in a few years but they STILL have so many shades for darker skin.
- IMAN Cosmetics Second to None Liquid Makeup ($16, here) – But you knew this, right? It’s pricey for a drugstore makeup but it WINS in terms of shades that they’ve got. However, it’s hard finding this in most drugstores. I’ve only spotted this at a few Target stores in my neck of the woods.
- NYX Stay Flat But Not Flat Liquid Foundation ($7.50, here) – I’m lucky enough to have NYX Cosmetics in a few of the drugstores near me and while they may not have all THIRY of the shades, this foundation has, it’s nice to know you can at least get a decent foundation for darker skin at $7.50.
- Black Radiance True Complexion BB Cream ($4.99, here) is only 5 bucks. FIVE DOLLARS! It’s hard trying to find any foundation with a price that good and this bad boy happens to have one for me? YES! I’m still on the BB cream team. I’m not the only one, am I?
- Shea Moisture CC Cream ($15.99, here) – This CC cream was love at first swatch and while it only comes in 5 shades, they are five DARK shades.
See! I’m looking out for you. I’m the first to admit that 5 foundations isn’t enough – especially since so many of these are iffy depending on where you live. If you can’t catch them in your area, they’re all available online.
But still…it’s frustrating, right? There should absolutely be more options. *sigh*
Oh! And if you think looking for a foundation for darker skin is tricky, concealer is even MORE tricky. I’ve already got you covered with this post of both drugstore and higher-end concealers.
We should really start holding brands more accountable for their lack of darker shades. Tweet them! Email them. Call their offices! There are so many ways to show off our frustration. And you ain’t got to be dark skinned to do it.
In the meantime, check out some of the other foundations my fellow Makeup Wars sisters are using and loving…
[inlinkz_linkup id=689773 mode=1]