It’s been quite awhile since I’ve done a fun post with my Makeup Wars sisters! This time we’re talking about our favorite celebrity for a beauty brand. It didn’t take long for me to think of this one. Naturally, I tend to be attracted to celebrity ads with celebs who are, you know, darker skinned. This doesn’t mean I can’t find beauty in all ads but I love to see women who look like me because even in 2015, it is STILL a rarity. That said, Lupita Nyong’o for Lancôme is my current favorite celebrity for a beauty brand.
Girlfriend’s beauty is just breathtaking. I first fell in love with her acting and after that, there was her fashion, poise and speeches. Lupita has this glorious air about her and while I’ve never thought Lancôme to be a brand that was highly diverse in their offerings for darker skinned girls, I’m happy they’ve added her to their ambassador lineup.. Granted, I’m more attracted to their mascaras than their foundations, but still. Lupita’s face and appearance in Lancôme ads has proven several things:
Black girls wear makeup
Because so many brands think we don’t. Proof of this would be their disregard for shades, models and ads that feature an array of women.
Black girls buy higher-end makeup
Another HUGE misconception.
Darker skinned girls can and SHOULD wear #allthecolors
So many of us think we can’t wear bright colors. Lupita is all, “Girl please…”.
Black girls can rock their natural hair confidently and professionally
How many Black celebs do you know rock short and kinky hair? Go Lupita go!
(image source – Philippe Salomon for Essence March 2014)
Lupita’s influence in the cosmetic world almost brings a tear to my eyes because while she isn’t considered a model, her sheer existence has changed the game for so many women like me!
It has been forever and a day since I’ve dabbled around in Lancôme products but in honor of Lupita, I figured I’d put together a short list of my favorite products that I think Lupita would love. You don’t even have to have a complexion like hers to appreciate these products. They are also great alternatives to Lancôme products – you know, because I’m a budget-friendly babe at heart.
- Shea butter ($5.39) – Are you laughing at me? You probably are. Shea buttah is a gift and I’m not kidding. When you slather yourself in it regularly, you just might acquire that smooth and blemish-free skin that Lupita has.
- Wet ‘n Wild Spotlight Red ($4.59) – This is the kind of red that Lupita would rock so beautifully.
- e.l.f. Studio Cream Eyeliner in Punk Purple ($6.67) – Lupita is always rocking purple in many of her ads, this liner is great for that beauty lover who wants to take subtle steps into adding purple around the eyes.
- COVER FX Bronzer Sunkissed ($49.99) – Far from budget-friendly, I know but if you have to make a splurge this bronzer should be it. It’s GORGEOUS for all complexions.
- China Glaze White on White nail polish ($4.94) – I haven’t seen white nail polish look bad on anyone. Darker skinned girls like Lupita are no exception.
- The Beauty of Color ($21.61) – Phyrra and I were JUST talking about this and whether you’re new to makeup or a seasoned lover, this book is fantastic for helping achieve looks for women of all backgrounds.
Check out the list below to see who the other ladies are lovin’…
[inlinkz_linkup id=515912 mode=1]
*this post contains affiliate links